Wood stove ashes suspected as cause of Union Bridge house fire

January 03, 2001|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

Wind apparently stirred day-old ashes from a wood stove to ignite a fire and cause about $70,000 damage to a home in Union Bridge, the state fire marshal said yesterday.

The ashes had been discarded Saturday afternoon in a plastic bucket without a lid, according to an investigator, Deputy State Fire Marshal Timothy S. Warner of the metro regional office in Westminster.

About 24 hours later, Sunday afternoon, the wind fanned a spark, which started the fire on the rear porch of the house in the first block of S. Main St., he said. The occupants were not home when the fire started.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.