Carol F. Jopling, 83, researcher, librarian
Carol F. Jopling, a retired researcher, teacher, anthropologist and librarian, died Oct. 14 of a massive stroke at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda. She was 83.
The former Roland Park and Chestertown resident had been chief librarian for three years at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Balboa, Panama, at the time of her retirement in 1984.
A resident of Chevy Chase since last year, Mrs. Jopling was a social science reference librarian at the University of Maryland, College Park from 1960 to 1961, and later worked at the Library of Congress.
Her wide-ranging career as a librarian included stints at the Central Intelligence Agency and the U.S. Information Agency. From 1967 to 1969, she was social science bibliographer at the University of Massachusetts Library at Amherst.
In addition to her library work, Mrs. Jopling taught courses on primitive art, American Indian art, pre-Columbian art and anthropology from 1965 to 1976 at American University, Catholic University, University of Massachusetts-Amherst, Harvard University, North Adams (Mass.) State College and Tufts University.
Mrs. Jopling, who also wrote five books and numerous articles, was born Carol Farrington in Louisville, the daughter of a railroader.
Raised in Pasadena, Calif., she received her bachelor's degree in art history from Vassar College in 1938. She received a master's degree in library science in 1960, and a master's degree in anthropology in 1963, both from Catholic University. She received her doctorate in anthropology from the University of Massachusetts-Amherst in 1973.
Her 1940 marriage to Peter White Jopling, an aeronautical engineer, ended in divorce.
At her request, no services are planned.
She is survived by two sons, Morgan W. Jopling of Crofton and John P. Jopling of Needham, Mass.; a daughter, Hannah Jopling of Washington; and five grandchildren.
The Rev. Matthias W. Bott, 85, Methodist minister
The Rev. Matthias Whitfield Bott, retired pastor of Hiss United Methodist Church in Parkville, died Monday from complications of an infection at Greater Baltimore Medical Center in Towson. The Parkville resident was 85.
He had been pastor of Hiss United Methodist Church from 1979 until his retirement in 1984. Earlier, Mr. Bott had been pastor of United Methodist churches in Delta, Pa.; Beltsville; Hampstead and at Northwood-Appold United Methodist Church in Baltimore.
After retiring, Mr. Bott was visitation minister at Catonsville United Methodist Church, and later was grief counselor for the Evans Funeral Chapels in Parkville, Timonium and Bel Air until 1995.
Born in Durham County, England, Mr. Bott immigrated in 1926 to Grafton, W.Va., where he later graduated from high school. He was a 1935 graduate of the Salvation Army Training College and earned his bachelor's and master's degrees in history from the University of West Virginia.
He served the Salvation Army in Washington, West Virginia, Virginia and Baltimore before earning his master's degree in theology in 1950 from Westminster Theological Seminary in Westminster.
After receiving his Elders Orders in 1952, he began his ministerial career at Watson United Methodist Church in Fairmont, W.Va.
He had been a member of the Rotary, Kiwanis and Optimist clubs, the Delta-Cardiff Volunteer Fire Co. and the Birmingham Lodge A.F. & A.M. in Beltsville.
Mr. Bott enjoyed playing chess, bowling, archery, woodworking and rug weaving.
Services were held yesterday at Hiss United Methodist Church.
He is survived by his wife of 63 years, the former Elizabeth Jackson; a son, Dr. William K. Bott of Orlando, Fla.; two daughters, Karen J. Bott of Baltimore and Debbie J. Kempson of Waldorf; a brother, Leonard S. Bott of Morgantown, W.Va.; six grandchildren; and a great-grandson. A son, John Robert Bott, died in 1982.
John Marion Wood, 89, school educator, principal
John Marion Wood, retired Baltimore City public school educator and principal, died Monday of a stroke at his Northwest Baltimore home. He was 89.
Mr. Wood, who retired as principal of Joseph C. Briscoe Senior High School in West Baltimore in 1975 after a 40-year career in city public schools, was descended from a family of educators.
Born in Paris, Ky., Mr. Wood was the son of Francis Marion Wood, a prominent educator who was president of Kentucky State College, and Nellie Virgie Hughes Wood, who was head of the college's department of economics.
Francis M. Wood Alternative High School on North Calhoun Street in Baltimore is named for his father.
Mr. Wood was raised in Sugar Hill, the West Baltimore neighborhood, after his father was appointed director of the Baltimore's segregated "Colored Schools" in 1925.
While attending Frederick Douglass Senior High School, from which he graduated in 1929, Mr. Wood acquired the nickname of "Junky," for his habit of retrieving discarded notebooks from trash cans and using the blank pages.