Killer who attacked gay men is sentenced to life in prison

At sentencing he says he's sorry to victims, kin

July 26, 2000|By Caitlin Francke | Caitlin Francke,SUN STAFF

A 25-year-old Baltimore man who admitted attacking two homosexual men - killing one - because he thought gay men were "evil," was ordered yesterday to spend the rest of his life in prison.

Gary William Mick was sentenced in Baltimore Circuit Court to life in prison plus 30 years for attacking a local dentist and murdering Christopher William Jones, 37, a New Jersey man attending a pharmaceutical conference in Baltimore last year. Mick bludgeoned Jones to death at the Admiral Fell Inn in Fells Point.

Yesterday, Mick, of the 3200 block of N. Charles St., apologized to his victims and their families - and to his own relatives.

"I'd like to apologize ... for all the pain and trauma I have caused them," Mick told Circuit Judge Roger W. Brown. For most of the brief hearing, Mick sat in a chair, staring at the floor.

Jones' mother and father, who live in Michigan, were in court yesterday. The victim's father, Howard Jones, said he did not understand the hatred some people harbor for others, such as for his son, who was openly homosexual.

"Too many people in our society fear on a daily basis the nature of the hatred and intolerance that led to Chris' death," Jones, 65, said. "It is our wish that no one shall ever again become a victim of this person who killed our son. "

Mick's lawyer, Assistant Public Defender Angela D. Shelton, told the judge that Mick's actions stemmed from sexual abuse that occurred when he was an adolescent. Shelton said a male friend of Mick's mother's molested him for more than a year.

He kept the abuse secret, Shelton said. "He believed that there was nobody out there ... who could help him," she said

When Mick's life fell into turmoil after he lost his job last year, the latent emotions bubbled to the surface, and he took his anger out on the victims, Shelton said.

He is "an emotionally fragile person," Shelton said. "Mr. Mick needs some help."

Brown ordered that Mick be placed on suicide watch. Mick pleaded guilty in May to first-degree murder, attempted murder and armed robbery in the two attacks. Prosecutor Vickie L. Wash said Mick preyed on the two men he attacked, seducing them to hurt them.

He "knew when he met [Jones] that he was going to kill him," Wash said. "His mode of revenge required the careful selection of his victims."

Jones, a graduate of Rutgers University in New Jersey, worked for Pfizer pharmaceutical company, developing prescription drugs.

Mick and Jones apparently met when Jones was in Baltimore for a pharmaceutical conference in June 1999. Once inside Jones' hotel room, Mick beat him with a claw hammer, striking him nine times on the right side of the head. He then stole Jones' GMC Yukon truck and credit cards, using the latter to buy clothes, jewelry, food and a beard trimmer, the prosecutor said.

In September, Mick met a Baltimore dentist at a bar and had dinner with him. Later, at the dentist's home, Mick assaulted him, attacking the victim with a knife. The men struggled, and the victim fought Mick off before alerting police, Wash said.

Police arrested Mick the next day after a 12-hour stakeout of his mother's home in Anne Arundel County. Police matched his fingerprints to prints found in Jones' hotel room and car. Police also found DNA evidence in Jones' hotel room that matched Mick's, Wash said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.