William L. Wright, 54, word processing supervisor...

July 21, 2000

William L. Wright, 54, word processing supervisor

William L. Wright, a Baltimore native who worked as a word processing supervisor in a New York law firm, died Sunday of lung cancer at Cabrini Medical Center in New York. He was 54.

Mr. Wright spent about two years in the Air Force after gradu- ating from Edmondson High School. After being honorably discharged, Mr. Wright worked at WBAL for about two years.

"He was great guy - very jovial, jolly, real hip ... a very good worker," said Ed Russell Mr. Wright's supervisor at WBAL. "He was ahead of his time. I guess you could call him a fashion plate."

After leaving WBAL, Mr. Wright moved to New York, where he worked as a word processing supervisor at the law firm of Epstein, Becker, and Green. He worked there for more than 20 years before he left about 1997.

Services were held yesterday at Joseph Brown Funeral Home in Baltimore.

Mr. Wright is survived by two brothers, Gordon Wright and Roland Wright, both of Baltimore; and a stepsister, Marie Jones of Baltimore.

James K. Cullen, 75, attorney, federal judge

James K. Cullen, a retired attorney and federal administrative law judge, died July 15 of heart failure in his Timonium home. He was 75.

A 1943 graduate of Catonsville High School, Mr. Cullen served in the Pacific during World War II in the Army Air Corps. He was a reconnaissance photographer who took pictures of the remnants of battle sites.

After about two years of duty, Mr. Cullen returned to Maryland and attended the University of Maryland at College Park, where he received a law degree.

Mr. Cullen became a partner in the Allewalt-Cullen law firm in Baltimore in 1953.

The following year, he married Britt-Marie Thornander, a native of Sweden. Mrs. Cullen died in May.

Mr. Cullen remained at the Allewalt-Cullen firm until 1973, when he moved to Michigan.

In Michigan, Mr. Cullen spent three years as a federal administrative law judge for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Mr. Cullen returned to Baltimore in 1976 and began judicial work for the Interstate Commerce Commission in Washington.

By 1978, he had found judicial work in Baltimore at the Department of Health and Human Services. He retired in 1989.

Mr. Cullen also was an active 25-year member and past president of the Paint and Powder Club.

Mr. Cullen will be buried beside his wife in Sweden next month.

He is survived by a son, Randolph F. Cullen of Troy, Mich.; a daughter, Margaret F. Williams of Dallas; a brother, Frank A. Cullen of Timonium; a grandson; and two granddaughters.

Dorothea H. Chew, 88, bookkeeper, accountant

Dorothea H. Chew, a retired bookkeeper and accountant, died July 14 at Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care in Baltimore of complications due to a stroke. She was 88 and lived in Ocean City.

The Baltimore native graduated from Eastern High School about 1930 and from Strayer Business College in Baltimore with a degree in accounting in the mid-1930s.

In the late 1930s, Dorothea Hempel married William Franklin Chew Jr. and began work as an accountant at his real estate development company, William F. Chew and Co.

The Chews retired in 1983 and moved to Ocean City. Mr. Chew died in 1986.

Mrs. Chew was a founding member of the Dunes Social Club of Ocean City and was active in the group for nearly 20 years. She also belonged to the Annapolis Yacht Club and owned several racehorses.

A memorial service was held Tuesday.

She is survived by a son, William F. Chew III, and a daughter, Judith Chew Boone, both of Freeland; and five grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.