Ronald Wayne Carter, 49, watch and clock repairer...

July 19, 2000

Ronald Wayne Carter, 49, watch and clock repairer

Ronald Wayne Carter, who owned a clock and watch repair business, died Thursday of heart failure at his Timonium shop. He was 49.

Mr. Carter and his wife, the former Doreen Bosley, opened Carter's Watch & Clock & Jewelry Repair Shop on York Road about 20 years ago. Mr. Carter took care of repairs while Mrs. Carter dealt with customers.

"I was there to allow him to get the work done," said Mrs. Carter. The couple would have celebrated their 25th anniversary next month.

Mr. Carter spent 31 years in the family trade. He was trained by his father, A. Otis Carter, who co-owned Carter's Jewelry in Cockeysville with his wife. An uncle and aunt of Mr. Carter's also owned a jewelry business.

"He always wanted to be a watch and clock repairman. That was his life's passion," said Richard Barrett of Baltimore, a friend of Mr. Carter's since first grade.

Mr. Carter's specialty was repairing antique clocks and watches.

"He [was] a real find. He was part of a breed of watchmakers you just can't find anymore," said his sister, Allison Carter of Berkeley Springs, W.Va.

"He was a genius at his trade," said Clarke Langrall of Baltimore, a longtime customer. "Ron was a really gentle, warm, very, very fine man."

Mr. Carter was born in Baltimore and graduated from Dulaney High School in 1968.

He was a beekeeper and was a member of the Maryland Beekeepers Association.

Mr. Carter also enjoyed writing poetry and reading. He had a particular interest in the texts of various religions. "He was a very deep thinker," said Allison Carter.

He was a member of Cockeysville Baptist Church, where services were held Monday.

In addition to his wife and sister, Mr. Carter is survived by his mother, Velma Carter of Sparks; and two brothers, James Carter and Timothy Carter, both of Sparks.

Milton Schott, 89, Mason, longtime Koppers worker

Milton J. Schott, a longtime employee of Koppers Metal Products, died July 14 of respiratory failure at Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care in Towson. The Lutherville resident was 89.

Mr. Schott began working as supervisor of transportation in the Metal Products Division at Koppers on Scott Street in Baltimore in 1948 and retired in 1976. Before joining Koppers, he worked in the purchasing department of the A&P grocery chain, beginning in 1932.

From 1937 to 1940, he worked at Towson Nursery and from 1941 to 1946, he supervised the making of welding rods at Arcrods in Sparrows Point.

After leaving Koppers, Mr. Schott worked as a cafeteria aide at Hampton Elementary School in the Hampton area of Baltimore County, remaining there during most of the 1980s. Working there allowed him to spend time with his grandchildren, who attended the school.

A stylish dresser, students at Hampton affectionately called him "The Bow-Tie Man." After leaving Hampton, Mr. Schott was a driver for the Bykota Senior Center in Towson for about 10 years.

Born in Baltimore, he graduated from Polytechnic Institute in 1928.

In 1933, he married H. Annette Twelbeck, whom he met while working at A&P. She was employed in the chain's financial department. They lived in Towson until 1962, when they moved to Lutherville.

A 60-year Mason, Mr. Schott was a member of Mount Moriah Lodge No. 116 in Towson

Funeral services were held Monday at Faith Lutheran Church in Cockeysville, where he was a member.

Mr. Schott is survived by his son, Robert J. Schott of Lutherville; two granddaughters; and a grandson.

Elaine Eva Vaughan, 63, Social Security worker

Elaine Eva Vaughan, a retired Social Security Administration employee and coupon-clipping philanthropist, died July 14 of complications from diabetes at Washington Hospital Center. She was 63 and lived in Westminster.

Mrs. Vaughan enjoyed taking advantage of coupons and rebates, then sending friends, family and needy strangers the money gained through her efforts.

Born Elaine Eva Langlois in New Bedford, Mass., she attended Catholic schools there. In 1957, she married Joseph Vaughan, who survives her.

Three years later, when Mr. Vaughan took a job as an SSA claims authorizer, the couple moved to Baltimore. In 1975, the family relocated to Westminster.

As she was raising the couple's three children, Mrs. Vaughan worked at a variety of jobs, busing tables in restaurants and clerking in stores. In 1980, with her children grown, she went to work at SSA as a clerk.

In her 15 years at SSA, Mrs. Vaughan worked as a typist, analyst and, ultimately, computer specialist. She retired in 1995.

A memorial service for Mrs. Vaughan will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at Loring Byers Funeral Directors Inc., 8728 Liberty Road, Randallstown.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by a son, Christopher J. Vaughan of Reisterstown; two daughters, Elizabeth D. Clark-Burrell of Glen Burnie and Diane C. Cole of Reisterstown; two brothers, Maurice Langlois and Leonard Langlois, and a sister, Janine Stoltz, all of New Bedford; two grandsons; and five granddaughters.M-0

Laura J. Newton, 92, physical education teacher

Laura J. Newton, who taught physical education in the Baltimore school system, died July 16 of heart failure at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore. She was 92.

After graduating from Temple University in Philadelphia with a bachelor's degree in physical education in the 1930s, Mrs. Newton taught at Douglass High School and retired in the early 1970s.

Born Laura Jones in Baltimore, she graduated from Douglass.

She married William Harry Newton in 1972. He died in 1976.

Mrs. Newton was a 60-year member and former national officer of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority.

She was a founding member more than 50 years ago of The Girlfriends, a social organization that does charitable works. She also belonged to the CC Club, a bridge and pinochle-playing group for teachers who retired from Douglass.

Services for Mrs. Newton will be held at noon tomorrow at St. James Episcopal Church, 1020 W. Lafayette Ave.

She is survived by cousins.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.