Dr. H. Baldwin Streett, 92, dentist

July 06, 2000|By Jacques Kelly | Jacques Kelly,SUN STAFF

Dr. H. Baldwin Streett, a retired dentist and a former head of the Baltimore dental society, died Friday of complications of a stroke at Blakehurst Life Care Community in Towson. The former Guilford resident was 92.

Dr. Streett practiced at 829 Park Ave. in the Mount Vernon section of Baltimore from 1934 until his retirement in 1972.

"He was an outstanding dentist and had one of the best practices in the city," said Dr. Donald R. Johnston, a friend who lives in Nantucket, Mass. "It was his excellent reputation that brought him so many patients."

Born in Baltimore and raised on Park Avenue in Bolton Hill, Dr. Streett was a graduate of Robert E. Lee School No. 49 and City College and was a member of the Johns Hopkins University class of 1929.

In the 1930s, he drove his Model A Ford roadster to and from Philadelphia to study dentistry at the University of Pennsylvania, where he graduated in 1934. He immediately went into practice with his father, Dr. H. Hayward Streett, and a cousin, Dr. John H. Michael. Their Park Avenue offices were located in the former home of the Knabe family, local piano manufacturers.

"I liked him because he always spoke his mind," said Carlyle Barton Jr. of Baltimore, a friend and former patient. "He was competent, well known in Baltimore and successful."

Dr. Streett possessed a detail-filled memory about the Baltimore he witnessed over the years.

As a child, he liked to visit the horse-drawn, steam-powered fire engines on North Avenue. He appeared on the stage of the old Ford's Theatre on Fayette Street in a Christmas Day pageant. He also recalled how he and his parents drove from Baltimore to Los Angeles in their new 1925 Pierce Arrow touring car. They traveled about 75 miles each day.

During Prohibition, he visited Flossie Miller's speakeasy on Biddle Street to buy bathtub gin and bourbon for college dances.

During World War II, Dr. Streett enlisted in a Johns Hopkins Hospital medical unit and was stationed in the Fiji Islands, India, Burma and Egypt. He was discharged with the rank of major in the Army Dental Corps.

He was on the dental staff of the Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he also did volunteer work.

Dr. Streett maintained a summer home at Stone Harbor, N.J., where he gardened, fished and played golf. He also hunted geese on the Eastern Shore.

He was a member of the Maryland Club and the Johns Hopkins Faculty Club and a former member of the American Dental Association, the Academy of Restorative Dentistry and the New York Academy of Dentistry.

He was president of the Baltimore City Dental Society in the 1950s.

In 1938, he married Frances Yearley Hiss. She died in 1973. The next year, he wed Selma Demmitt, who survives him.

A memorial service for Dr. Streett will be held at 11 a.m. July 14 at the Episcopal Cathedral of the Incarnation, St. Paul Street and University Parkway, where he was a member.

He is also survived by two daughters, Ann S. Benya of Los Angeles and Olivia H. Rasmussen of Riderwood; five grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.