Shooting injures two, closes roads for 3 hours

Sunday fight may have led to Monday's gunfire

June 27, 2000|By Peter Hermann and Richard Irwin | Peter Hermann and Richard Irwin,SUN STAFF

A gunman shot two people yesterday afternoon during a fight that spilled from an East Baltimore rowhouse and prompted police to shut down several streets as they searched for suspects.

Two officers coaxed a 2-year-old child out of the rowhouse in the 1900 block of N. Patterson Park Ave. and carried the infant to safety. The child was the last person inside.

One woman was hospitalized in critical but stable condition and a man was treated for a gunshot wound and released.

Four men were in custody last night, including the suspected gunman. Charges had not been filed as of 9 p.m.

Police said they were trying to unravel a confusing series of events that might have been triggered by a neighborhood brawl Sunday.

Sgt. Scott Rowe, a police spokesman, said Vanessa West, 42, who resided at the North Patterson Park Avenue house, was shot in the upper part of the body and was in critical but stable condition at Johns Hopkins Hospital last night. A man identified as Ernest Parker, 40, of the same address was shot in the left arm and was treated and released at Hopkins.

A second man who was in the house at the time was bitten by a pit bull. A condition was not available last night for DeAngelo Eberhart, 18, address unknown.

Officers responded about 4:30 p.m. yesterday to a call for a shooting at a rowhouse in the 1900 block of N. Patterson Park Ave., just south of Paquin Middle/High School.

Rowe said police found people running out of the back of the house, including those wounded by gunfire and several potential suspects. One man who fled the house with a gun, dropped it as police arrived. He was taken into custody.

A frantic officer then reported to a dispatcher: "There's a kid at the rear [of the house] sticking his head outside and saying his mother has been shot." Unsure of who was inside, heavily armed tactical officers converged on the street and shut down West North Avenue and numerous side streets.

During the standoff, the child walked over to a front screen door. "He got about 2 feet from me," said Detective Sgt. Dennis L. Smith. "We were trying to coax him to come out."

As officers trained their guns on the door, Detective Michael J. Baier opened it and grabbed the child. Other officers then went inside, but found no one.

Streets were blocked until 7:30 p.m., as officers went from house to house on the block, where Rowe said several potential suspects were seen running into houses.

Police were still investigating the cause last night. Neighbors said there had been a fight Sunday in which a man from that house had been beaten with a chair leg.

Family members and other witnesses were being interviewed at the Eastern District station house on Edison Highway last night.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.