The Sun.

Vol. Liv - No. 12 Baltimore, Wednesday Morning, July 7, 1863 [price One Cent.

Gettysburg Battles.

Further Highly Interesting Accounts.

Scenes on the Battlefield.

June 25, 2000

We find in our exchanges, in addition to the telegraph dispatches published in another column, many accounts and rumors in the subsequent pursuit of the Confederates. The accounts, however, are very contradictory. According to the Philadelphia papers it was a confederate general named Longsworth, and not Longstreet, who was killed. The latter officer is declared to have lost in killed, wounded and missing, about 6,000 men. The New York Herald claims to have reliable information that Gen. Ewell died on Monday, at the residence of Sterling Galt, Esq., two miles northeast of Fancytown, from wounds received at Gettysburg. The loss of the Second Army Corps is put down at 1,700. The 17th United States Infantry, it is stated, lost fifteen officers, and the Fourth Michigan Regiment, on Friday morning, only mustered 30 officers and men. Many of the missing, however, are alive, having been taken prisoners.

Incidents of the Battlefield.

We take the following from a letter in the N.Y. Herald: The Sisters of Charity turned out at Gettysburg, on Saturday, and proceeded to the various hospitals to relieve the sick and wounded. They were accompanied by the Rev. Father of their church.

The Moonlit Battlefield - the Hospitals.

In the evening of Friday, after the moon had risen, I looked over the battlefields - men mangled and bloody and torn; bodies without heads and heads without brains; trunks limbless, here an arm obstructing one's pathway, there a leg visible in the dry fissure of a rock; some long since dead, some dying! Here on the battle field one sees the dread realities of war. I have seen in the past two years thirteen battles. I forgot the details of the fights. I never forget the honors of the battle field. The hospitals were scattered about miscellaneously, in houses, barns, ravines - in the most available places that could be found sheltered from shells and the sunshine. Dr. Milhan, medical director of the corps, aided by Dr. Russell, inspecting surgeon, and Drs. Shippen and Webb, division surgeons, made the best arrangements they could for the comfort of the wounded. Regimental surgeons of course lent a hand in the wound dressing and amputations.

A View of the Fight.

From Rock Hill the battle could be seen in all its fierce fury. Soon the infantry of the other corps were engaged, followed by the enemy being repulsed at every point. Our men fought splendidly. The enemy made charge after charge with wild and dashing impetuosity, but only to fall back each time with overwhelming loss. It was intensely hot when the attack began and for two hours after. A thunder shower cooled the atmosphere, but not the ardor of our troops, or the savage ferocity of the unyielding foe.

Thrilling Account of Thursday's Fight.

A correspondent of the World thus describes the fight on Thursday evening: About 6 o'clock P.M., silence, deep, awfully impressive, but momentary, was permitted as if by magic to dwell upon the field. Only the groans unheard before of the wounded and dying, only the murmur- a morning memory - of the breeze through the foliage, only the low rattle of preparation for what was to come, embroidered this blank stillness. Then, as the smoke beyond the village was lightly borne to the eastward, the woods on the left were seen filled with dark masses of infantry, three columns deep, who advanced at a quickstep. Magnificent! Such a charge by such a force - full 45,000 men, under Hill and Longstreet - even though it threatened to pierce and annihilate the Third corps, against which it was directed, drew forth cries of admiration from all who beheld it. Gen. Sickles and his splendid command withstood the shock with a determination that checked, but could not fully restrain it. Back, inch by inch, fighting, falling, dying, cheering, the men retired.

The rebels came on more furiously, halting at intervals, pouring volleys that struck our troops down in scores. Gen. Sickles, fighting desperately, was struck in the leg and fell.

The Second corps came to the aid of his decimated column. The battle then grew fearful. Standing firmly up against the storm, our troops, though still outnumbered, gave back shot for shot, volley for volley, almost death for death. Still the enemy was not restrained. Down he came upon our left with a momentum that nothing could check.

The rifled guns that lay before our infantry on a knoll were in danger of capture.

General Hancock was wounded in the thigh; General Gibbon in the shoulder. The Fifth corps, as the First and Second, wavered anew, went into the breach with such shouts and such volleys as made the rebel column tremble at last. Up from the valley behind another battery came rolling to the heights and flung its contents in an instant down the midst of the enemy's ranks.

Crash! Crash! With discharges deafening, terrible, the musketry firing went on; the enemy, reforming after each discharge with wondrous celerity and firmness, still pressed up the declivity.

What hideous carnage filled the minutes between the appearance of the Fifth corps and the advance to the support of the rebel columns of still another column from the right, I cannot bear to tell. Men fell as the leaves fall in autumn before those horrible discharges. Faltering for an instant, the rebel columns seemed about to recede before the tempest. But their officers, who could be seen through the smoke of the conflict galloping and swinging their swords along the lines, rallied them anew, and the next instant the whole line sprang forward as if to break through our own by mere weight of numbers.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.