John B. Twist, 71, executive at USF&G John B. Twist, a...

June 16, 2000

John B. Twist, 71, executive at USF&G

John B. Twist, a retired United States Fidelity & Guaranty Co. official and amateur radio operator, died June 9 of cancer at his Catonsville home. He was 71.

Mr. Twist, who was known as Jack, retired in 1992 from USF&G, where he was assistant vice president of the company's life insurance division. He began his career with the company in Arizona in 1960 and moved to Baltimore in 1970.

Born in Springfield, Mass., he moved to Northwest Baltimore in 1938. A 1946 graduate of the Mount Hermon School in Mount Hermon, Mass., Mr. Twist served in the Marine Corps from 1947 until being discharged in 1948.

He earned his bachelor's degree from Towson State College, now Towson University, and taught school during the 1950s at the Salt River Indian Reservation in Arizona.

In 1952, he married Anne Noland, who died in 1995. Last year, he married Lois Di Rito, who survives him.

Mr. Twist, a ham radio operator for more than 25 years, had the call letters WB3JJL. He was a member of the Baltimore Amateur Radio Friends and assisted during snowstorms and other weather emergencies.

Services were held Monday.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Twist is survived by two sons, Mike Twist of Dallastown, Pa., and John Twist of Atlanta; a daughter, Susan Brunt of Catonsville; his mother, Madeleine Twist of Sun City, Calif.; a brother, Gerald Twist of Newport Beach, Calif.; a stepdaughter, Debbie Crowell of Glen Burnie; and eight grandchildren.

E. Theodore Keys Jr., 70, auditor for Bell Atlantic

E. Theodore Keys Jr., a retired Bell Atlantic manager of internal auditing, died June 9 of coronary disease at Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care in Towson. He was 70.

Mr. Keys, who lived in Phoenix, began his career with the old Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. as a lineman in 1948 and retired in 1989. He was a certified internal auditor and systems analyst.

He was a member of the Institute of Internal Auditors. He had held regional offices in the organization and had been president of the local chapter. He edited "How to Save Millions," which was published by the institute.

After he retired, he established Keypoint Associates, a consulting firm that organized seminars on computer auditing and fraud. He retired a second time when he closed the business last year.

Born in Northeast Baltimore, he was a 1948 graduate of Polytechnic Institute and attended the Johns Hopkins University.

He served with the Army's 26th Signal Construction Battalion in Korea from 1951 until being discharged in 1953 with the rank of sergeant.

For nearly 60 years, he had been involved in the Boy Scouts. He had been a scoutmaster and chairman of the organization's Dulaney district. He also was awarded the Scouts' Silver Beaver Award.

He was a longtime member of the Telephone Pioneers of America and was a past president of its Metro-East chapter.

He was a past president of the Parkville Jaycees and the Woodcroft Civic Association.

An ordained elder in the Presbyterian Church, he was a member of Chestnut Grove Presbyterian Church, 3701 Sweet Air Road in Phoenix, where a memorial service will be held at 7 p.m. June 29.

He is survived by his wife of 47 years, the former Anne Morlock; a son, Brooks T. Keys of Houston; a daughter, L. Robin Keys of Bolton Hill; his mother, Pauline Berman Keys of Mount Airy; two sisters, Faye Hanrahan of Eldersburg and Joyce Vecchiarelli of Mount Airy; and a grandson.

John N. Paros, 69, former restaurant owner

John N. Paros, a former Glen Burnie restaurateur who was active in the affairs of St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church, died Monday of congestive heart failure at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was 69.

The Glen Arm resident owned Milt's Rendezvous, a popular restaurant that was known for its pizza, hamburgers, soups and crab cakes, from 1974 until 1998, when he sold the business and retired.

Earlier, he had owned and operated the Edison Bar, at Monument Street and Edison Highway, from 1963 to 1974.

Born in Wierton, W.Va., the son of Greek immigrant parents, he was raised in Newport News, Va., where he graduated from high school. He moved to Baltimore in 1949 when his parents opened a restaurant in the city.

He served in the Army in Germany from 1952 until 1954, when he was discharged with the rank of private.

He was a communicant and member of the church council of St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in Highlandtown, where services were held yesterday.

He is survived by his wife of 38 years, the former Maria Stamatopoulos; a son, Nicholas J. Paros of Bel Air; two daughters, Kaliope Sakellis of Salisbury and Sophia Paros of Glen Arm; and two grandchildren.

Lucille L. Ford, 94, domestic worker

Lucille L. Ford, a retired domestic worker and 70-year member of St. Matthews United Methodist Church in East Baltimore, died Saturday of a cardiac arrest at Hampton (Va.) General Hospital. She was 94.

Mrs. Ford, formerly of Cold Spring Lane, had moved to Hampton late last year. A domestic for many years, she retired in the 1970s.

Deeply religious, she had belonged to St. Matthews on East 23rd Street. For the last four years, she attended the New Waverly United Methodist Church on East 33rd Street, which was an outgrowth of her former congregation.

She had been a member of the usher board and served on the church's health and welfare committees and was a Holy Communion steward.

Born Lucille Leach in Suffolk, Va., she moved to Baltimore in 1917 and graduated from Douglass High School.

Her marriage to Happy Hawkins ended in divorce. In 1960, she married Harrison Ford, who died in 1970.

A memorial service was held yesterday at New Waverly United Methodist Church.

She is survived by two sons, Eugene Hawkins of Baltimore and Joseph Hawkins of Hampton, Va.; four daughters, Ruth Hawkins, Gloria Keith and Ethel Ford, all of Baltimore and Mildred Hawkins of Philadelphia; 23 grandchildren; 20 great-grandchildren; and six great-great grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.