Police searching for driver of car that ran over pedestrian's body

June 16, 2000|By Stephanie Hanes | Stephanie Hanes,SUN STAFF

County police were searching yesterday for the driver of a car that ran over a pedestrian in Pasadena on Wednesday night and fled the scene of the fatal accident with her passenger, a young boy.

Witnesses told police that the boy got out of the car to ask bystanders if the car had hit the victim. After he was told that it had, the woman yelled at the child to get back into the vehicle and drove away, police said.

The car was the second of two vehicles that hit 43-year-old Yvette Morton around 9:30 p.m. as she attempted to cross Mountain Road at Magothy Beach Road near Lake Shore Plaza - an accident that police blamed on pedestrian error.

The first vehicle was a westbound Dodge van driven by Margaret A. O'Brien, 53, of the 1500 block of Shell Road, who told police she tried to stop but couldn't avoid hitting the pedestrian.

Terry A. Gerling, 23, an employee of the Mobil Station on the southeast corner of the intersection, said she ran out of the building after Morton was hit, and saw O'Brien standing there, screaming for the oncoming second car to stop. But O'Brien was unable to prevent it from running over Morton's body, Gerling said.

Police said the hit-and-run vehicle was described as a dark, small to mid-size car, which one witness said could have been a Mitsubishi Eclipse. The boy was described as 10 to 12 years old.

Police reported witnesses saying that Morton appeared to be intoxicated and was staggering in the roadway before being hit, but Gerling said she did not smell alcohol or notice drunken behavior when Morton asked her for a cigarette in the station minutes earlier.

Morton lived alone in the 300 block of Magothy Bridge Road, about a half-mile from the accident scene. She was the mother of four children - a 23-year-old son in the Army and three teen-agers.

The younger children live with Morton's mother, Betty Pollerd of the 8200 block of Tomlinson Court near Fort Meade. She said yesterday that her daughter had seriously injured her neck about three months ago and likely could not have turned her head in checking for traffic as she crossed the road.

"She was a very lovely person," Pollerd said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.