9-year-old boy in critical condition after being shocked by power line

June 12, 2000

A 9-year-old boy was in critical condition at Johns Hopkins Hospital last night after being shocked by a live utility line while playing in an East Baltimore alley, a spokeswoman for Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. said.

Isiah Moore, who was staying with a grandparent in the 900 block of N. Rose St., was playing in the alley behind the relative's house about 4:30 p.m. when he grabbed a live wire that was hanging close to the ground from the uprights of a utility pole, said BGE spokeswoman Rose Maria Kendig.

Kendig said the wire, which carried 4,000 volts, knocked the boy to the ground. He suffered serious burns, she said.

Moore was taken to the hospital by a city Fire Department ambulance.

Shortly after the incident, BGE utility crews reattached the wire.

Kendig said the incident is being investigated by the utility company.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.