Betty Lee Kewer, 61, crossing guard Betty Lee Kewer...

June 05, 2000

Betty Lee Kewer, 61, crossing guard

Betty Lee Kewer, who worked as a crossing guard for 24 years and raised five sons, died May 29 at Johns Hopkins Hospital from a cerebral hemorrhage. She was 61.

Mrs. Kewer lived in Lansdowne for 20 years before moving to Seaford, Del., in 1995, where she and her husband retired.

Born Betty Lee Turner, she was raised in Northwest Baltimore and left Western High School during the 10th grade to begin working. She eloped with Richard L. Kewer Sr. in 1960 and began her career as a crossing guard 11 years later at the intersection of Russell and Warner streets. In 1979, she moved to the intersection of Hollins Ferry and Bero roads, where she worked for the next 16 years.

During her career, she handed out clothing to underprivileged children she saw walking through her intersection.

She enjoyed playing bingo and attending Orioles games, often returning from Seaford to watch baseball games during her retirement. She was also an Elvis Presley fan and attended a 1976 concert in Baltimore during the entertainer's last tour.

Services were held Friday at Hubbard Funeral Home in Baltimore.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by sons Richard L. Kewer Jr. of Baltimore; John F. Kewer of Lansdowne; David P. Kewer of Durham, N.C.; Harold S. Kewer of Virginia Beach, Va.; Douglas J. Kewer of Bel Air; and seven grandchildren.

Clifton Ralph Jones, 89, associate dean at Howard

Clifton Ralph Jones, retired associate dean of the Howard University College of Liberal Arts and an Episcopal churchman, died May 28 of prostate cancer at his Mount Washington home. He was 89.

At the time of his death, Mr. Jones was a research fellow at Morgan State University, where he had been a professor of sociology from 1946 until 1963.

In 1963, he joined the faculty of Howard University in Washington and chaired the department of sociology and anthropology from 1970 to 1973. He was associate dean of the university's College of Liberal Arts from 1973 until 1985, when he retired.

Born in Nanticoke, he lived for several years in Philadelphia before returning to the Wicomico County town. After graduating from the high school division of Bowie State College, he received a bachelor's degree in sociology from Virginia Union University in Richmond in 1935.

Because African-Americans were excluded from attending graduate school in Maryland, Mr. Jones went to the State University of Iowa, where he received master's and doctorate degrees in sociology, the latter in 1943.

He served in the Army from 1943 until being discharged in 1945.

He was a communicant of St. James Episcopal Church, 1020 W. Lafayette Ave., and served on the vestry of the historic Lafayette Square church. He was also a member of the Brotherhood of St. Andrew.

Mr. Jones, who was a member of Alpha Phi Alpha and Sigma Pi Phi fraternities, wrote numerous articles.

He married Gladyce H. Bradley in 1947; she died in 1973. In 1978, he married Susan Sutton Miles, who survives him.

Services for Mr. Jones were held Friday at St. James Episcopal Church.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Jones is survived by a daughter, JoAnn Jones of Philadelphia; a stepson, George H. Miles Jr. of Baltimore; and a niece, Rita Mae Jones of Salisbury.

Edmund G. Cummings, 71, arsenal toxicologist

Edmund George Cummings, who worked in the toxicologic division at Edgewood Arsenal of Aberdeen Proving Ground for 30 years, died Tuesday of leukemia at the University of Maryland Medical Center. He was 71.

Dr. Cummings was born in Cohoes in upstate New York and earned a bachelor's degree magna cum laude from Union College of New York in 1950. He earned his master's and doctorate degrees in physiology from North Carolina State University, finishing in 1958. During that time, he also taught at Duke University, where in 1955 he met his wife, Nancy Pihlgren, who was studying biology.

In 1958, he moved to Bel Air to begin his career at the Edgewood Arsenal, starting as a researcher and physiologist. Among his assignments was researching materials used in military uniforms. By 1981, he was promoted to chief of the Toxicological Division, supervising the effects of chemicals on animals. During his career, he wrote two books about physiology and numerous articles.

Beginning in the early 1970s, he took a second job as an associate professor of biology at Harford Community College in Churchville.

"He wanted to teach, because he loved sharing his love of biology," said his daughter, Lauren E. Cummings of Airville, Pa. In 1973, he was listed in "Who's Who in American Science."

Dr. Cummings retired in 1994. He enjoyed gardening and fishing.

Dr. Cummings was cremated Friday. In addition to his wife and daughter, he is survived by his son, David E. Cummings of West Chester, Pa., and two grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.