UM will take break as final four host

After hosting 7 of past 8, school declines to bid again until 2005, 2006

NCAA playoffs notebook

College Lacrosse

May 28, 2000|By Bill Free and Gary Lambrecht | Bill Free and Gary Lambrecht,SUN STAFF

COLLEGE PARK - It will be at least five years before the NCAA lacrosse final four returns to the University of Maryland, the school's associate athletic director, Dave Haglund, said yesterday.

Haglund said the Maryland athletic sports staff decided last summer not to bid on the final four until the 2005 and 2006 seasons because "we wanted a break" after playing host to seven of the past eight lacrosse semifinals and final.

"When we host an event, we want to feel enthusiastic and put on a great show," Haglund said. "The best way to ensure that is to host it less often. We've determined that it's best to bid for two of every six years."

The 2001 and 2002 NCAA lacrosse final fours are set for Rutgers. A site for 2003 and 2004 has not yet been determined.

With Maryland bowing out for the 2003 and 2004 final fours, it is thought that the NCAA could be looking to PSINet Stadium as a possible site for those two years.

Any combination of two Baltimore-area schools from among UMBC, Loyola and Johns Hopkins could be the co-hosts for the 2003 and 2004 events..

An NCAA representative didn't deny yesterday that PSINet Stadium could be in the running for the final four in 2003 and 2004, and he said, "We'll probably decide this summer where we'll hold it in those two years."

Edell seen returning

Maryland coach Dick Edell's two-year contract will expire on June 30, and sources said the school plans to re-sign him next month.

Edell, who finished his 17th season in College Park last week and has won 269 games in his 28-year career - ranking fourth on the all-time list - has come under fire in recent years.

In 1998, he was rumored to be on his way out, but he then led the Terrapins to the NCAA championship for the third time in five years.

Then, after the Terps failed to make the NCAAs last year for the first time in nine seasons, Edell was supposedly under pressure to avoid another miss in 2000.

The Terps finished an 11-5 season last week with a 10-7 loss to Princeton in the quarterfinals.

Cercy sees daylight

Before yesterday's game, Syracuse faceoff man Chris Cercy had scored just one goal this season. Then came the first half of the Orangemen's 14-12 victory over Johns Hopkins, when Cercy doubled that total and stunned the Blue Jays.

"I had the feeling [Hopkins] wasn't going to slide to me, since we've got three of the best attackmen in the country," said Cercy, who scored both times after winning faceoffs and streaking toward the Hopkins cage unguarded.

"Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd score two goals in the Final Four."

Powell gets rough

Syracuse seemingly spent the entire game in the penalty box. The Orangemen drew 12 fouls at a cost of 10 minutes, but surrendered only two goals in those man-down situations.

Attackman Ryan Powell drew three flags, including back-to-back roughness calls in the third quarter. One of them came after he shoved Hopkins goalie Brian Carcaterra, who fell hard to the ground in what appeared to be a bit of gamesmanship.

"I bumped into [Carcaterra] a little bit. He fell pretty hard. I was surprised at my shoulder strength," Powell said. "I try to pick up my team in different ways."

Said coach John Desko: "It's kind of hard to pick up your team in the penalty box."

Starsia stunned

Virginia coach Dom Starsia refused to criticize his highly-regarded faceoff specialists, Jason Hard and David Jenkins, for their inability to control he crucial draws in the 12-11 loss to Princeton yesterday.

"Those two guys are the rocks of our team and I don't believe what happened," said Starsia.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.