Mount Hebron gets 4th straight title

Vikings' 50th win in row comes vs. Glenelg, 16-4

Girls lacrosse Class 3A-2A-1A final

May 25, 2000|By Stan Rappaport | Stan Rappaport,SUN STAFF

In the pressurized world that is Mount Hebron girls lacrosse, state championships are expected. And with good reason.

There is no better program in the state.

The Vikings won their 50th straight game last night, 16-4, over Howard County rival Glenelg for the Class 3A-2A-1A state championship at UMBC Stadium. The title is their fourth straight and eighth in nine seasons.

"I can't be more proud of the kids," said Mount Hebron coach Chris Robinson, whose team was ranked No. 1 in the county last season by US Lacrosse. "This year was probably the toughest. From the start of the season, we were ranked No. 1, and there was a lot of pressure and expectations. It was mentally draining. It was a mentally exhausting season."

And it took Mount Hebron's best team ever, according to Robinson, to come out unscathed.

"This is the best team," said Robinson, whose squad has nine players set to play Division I in college next season. "Arguably, this could be the best high school lacrosse team ever."

The only thing that stopped Mount Hebron this season was last night's second-half thunderstorm, lightning from which stopped the game with 4:42 remaining. After a 32-minute delay, officials declared the game complete at 10:28 p.m. and sent both teams to their buses without the ceremonial ending.

"It was anticlimactic. We wanted to finish it out," said Mount Hebron's lone four-year starter, Lauren Kickham, who led her team with five goals and one assist. "I guess we just wanted to watch the clock count down to zero and know that we were victorious. It was disappointing, especially for the seniors."

Both coaches wanted to continue playing but realized the seriousness of the situation.

"The lightning was going on the whole second half, and it was a little disconcerting to the players," said Glenelg coach Ginger Kincaid. "They made the right call. It's dangerous to be out on the field once it gets to a situation like this, but it had to be something the officials decided, not us."

Melissa McCarthy scored 42 seconds into play for Mount Hebron (19-0), and the Vikings were on their way to their fourth unbeaten season since 1992. Mount Hebron, which outscored opponents by 394-87 this season, took a 10-3 lead into halftime.

McCarthy -- who drew her second yellow card and had to leave the game with 21:22 remaining-Kristen Waagbo, Katie Jeschke, and Stephanie Scurachio each scored twice for the Vikings.

Glenelg (17-3), which lost, 18-3, to the Vikings during the regular season, was led by Kelly O'Connor's two 8-meter goals.

"I think we played respectably," Kincaid said. "I'm proud that we were here, proud that we hung in there. I didn't see anybody back down, and that was the most important thing we wanted to do."

The last time Mount Hebron lost was to St. Mary's, 5-3, on April 18, 1998. The Vikings then finished the season with an 11-game winning streak.

Mount Hebron went 20-0 last season, peaking with a 16-4 win over Towson for the Class 2A-1A state title. US Lacrosse magazine ranked the Vikings No. 1 in the country for their effort.

The Vikings started this season with a 10-8 win over St. Mary's and later topped No. 2 Bryn Mawr, 14-10, in the Mount Hebron tournament championship.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.