Baltimore man, 39, pleads guilty in rape of teen-age daughter

15-year-old had traveled into area from Canada for first-time meeting

May 17, 2000|By Andrea F. Siegel | Andrea F. Siegel,SUN STAFF

In a crime a prosecutor said "is as bad as it gets," a Baltimore man pleaded guilty yesterday to raping his 15-year-old daughter within hours of first meeting her.

Assistant State's Attorney Laura S. Kiessling said she will ask Anne Arundel County Circuit Judge Clayton Greene Jr. to sentence the 39-year-old man to life in prison, the maximum term, "because he deserves it." Sentencing was scheduled for mid-August ."I think this case cries out for the maximum on so many different levels," Kiessling said."She was a child. And he was her father. Parents are supposed to love and protect their children," she said.

The rape was planned, the teen-ager was threatened with a handgun to her head while she begged for her life and the man is wanted on a probation violation from a 1992 conviction for sexual assault in New York City.

The Sun is withholding the man's name to protect the identity of the victim, described by prosecutors as a musically talented teen-ager whose academics and emotional life have suffered as she struggles to deal with the attack.

Defense attorney Daryl Jones declined to comment. In court, he told the judge that his client took issue with much of the information about the crime that Kiessling detailed, including the rape. But the man entered what is known as an Alford plea, in which he agreed that prosecutors had enough evidence to convict him but did not admit to responsibility for the crime.

The victim, who lives in Ontario, Canada, began speaking with her father, whom she had never seen, by telephone in the summer of 1998. Last summer, he sent her plane fare to visit. He told her his friend, Peter, would pick her up at Baltimore-Washington International Airport on June 26, Kiessling said.

The man who met her took her to the Park Plaza Motel in Brooklyn Park. In a room there, he asked why she was a virgin and took out a 9 mm handgun. He threatened to kill her over her screaming, crying and pleas to be let go. Pushing a pillow over her face, he raped her, Kiessling said.

He forced her into the bathroom and told her she was not going anywhere until her father arrived. He left the motel room and she ran outside. Several men she asked for help turned away, but a woman called police. Officers found that the man who rented the room the teen-ager had been in also had rented the room next door, where he was found by police, Kiessling said.

She said "he was in the process of shaving his head" when police confronted him. Police also found a knife, keys to both motel rooms and a datebook with the victim's flight information in the room. He was arrested. The teen-ager later told officers that she recognized the man's voice as that of her father from the telephone conversations.

Kiessling said that after authorities obtained a court order in October to collect pubic hairs from him for genetic testing, he shaved. Police used saliva for comparison instead.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.