No. 2 St. Paul's downs game Severn, 13-9

Crusaders' 4-0 burst in 4th quarter wins it

Boys lacrosse

High Schools

May 07, 2000|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Temperatures rose to nearly 95 degrees yesterday, but after his squad's 13-9 victory over No. 10 Severn, St. Paul's attackman Conor Ford spoke more about the intense heat applied by the losing team.

"If they lose, they're out of the playoffs. They had everything to beat us for," said the second-team All-Metro attackman. "They came in here and gave us a heckuva run."

But the No. 2 Crusaders overcame four deficits to scorch Severn, 4-0, in the fourth period of a game that was tied seven times. St. Paul's improved to 11-3 entering next week's Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference playoffs, whose semifinals and finals will be playd at Towson University over the next two weekends.

Ford scored two of his five goals during the fourth period, after having given St. Paul's a 7-6 halftime lead with his third goal. Teammate Matt Marchildon had three of his four goals in the second half, to go with an assist.

While Severn (5-11) was eliminated with the loss, St. Paul's entered the game already having clinched the league's Division II title, the No. 2 seed behind top-ranked Gilman (14-1), and a bye into next weekend's semis.

Yesterday, Severn had assists on six of its goals and led 1-0 early, 4-3,after one period, 5-4 early in the second, and, finally, 8-7 with 3:52 left in the third. Drew Habeck (three goals, one assist), Scott MacMullen ( two, two) led the Admirals, and Brandon Wright and Mike Houser each had a goal and an assist.

Junior keeper Matt Larkin had 15 saves behind defenseman Ron Staines, several during fastbreak or one-on-one attempts, and Dan Lilly won eight of 17 faceoffs.

"Second quarter, a lightbulb kind of went off, and we're like, `OK, these guys aren't going to give us anything," Marchildon said. "We knew they were going to work us right to the end."

The Crusaders responded in the second half, as Jack deVilliers, who lost five of seven first-half faceoffs, won four of five in the second half . Ethan Haire, another faceoff middie for St. Paul's, won four of six. St. Paul's keeper Paul Spellman made five of his 12 saves during the critical final period.

DeVilliers had three assists, and Brendan Gill a goal and an assist for the Crusaders, who meet the winner of Tuesday's game between Boys' Latin and McDonogh. Gilman meets Tuesday's Loyola-St. Mary's winner.

McDonogh remained in contention for the sixth and final playoff berth with Friday's 14-10 upset of Loyola. The Eagles won the final spot with Severn's loss, which eliminates the Admirals (5-11).

"Everyone forgot about us after our first loss to McDonogh," said Severn coach Jamie McNealey. "We realize now that the first part of the season's as important as the last. It's a learning experience."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.