6 injured, 1 killed in 2 shootings

No motives, no suspects identified in incidents

May 07, 2000|By Michael Dresser | Michael Dresser,SUN STAFF

Six people were injured -- one critically -- in an early morning burst of gunfire in Southwest Baltimore yesterday.

Police said they know of no motive for the attack, which took place on Wilkens Avenue, close to the scene of a shooting incident that led to the death of Officer Kevon M. Gavin last month.

In an unrelated incident early yesterday, Maurice Nelson, 23, of the 1900 block of W. Saratoga St., died of multiple wounds after being shot at North Payson and West Preston streets in West Baltimore.

Police said yesterday that they know of no motive and no suspects in that incident, which occurred at 12: 12 a.m. Nelson was pronounced dead at Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

In the Wilkens Avenue shooting, two men, two women and two teen-age boys were wounded about 1: 50 a.m. Agent Angelique Cook-Hayes, a department spokeswoman, said a lone gunman apparently stood at the corner of Pulaski Street and Wilkens Avenue and fired at a group gathered about three blocks away in the 2000 block of Wilkens Ave.

One of the victims, Shawn Williams, 20, was in critical but stable condition yesterday at Johns Hopkins Hospital with a gunshot wound to the head.

Cook-Hayes said the Williams shooting was being investigated by the homicide unit. She said investigators did not have any suspects and did not know what type of weapon was used.

The other victims, all struck in the arms or legs, were in stable condition at local hospitals.

Police identified the other adult victims as Gary Myers, 23, of the 2100 block of Fulton St.; Trinita Strange, 23, of the 800 block of Vine St.; and Denise Rich, 27, of the 2400 block of Maisel Court.

The juvenile victims were Michael Butcher, 17, of the 600 block of S. Bentalou St., and Lamont Smith, 15, of the first block of S. Smallwood St.

The assailant apparently stood at the same intersection where a teen-age gunman is accused of shooting another youth on April 20. While fleeing, the teen allegedly hit Gavin's car at South Gilmor and West Lombard streets, killing the officer.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.