Gilman finishes with a flourish

No. 1 'Hounds score 7 of game's last 8 goals vs. St. Mary's, 10-7

April 27, 2000|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,SUN STAFF

Gilman senior midfielder Lance Zimmerman doesn't have an explanation for his team's slow starts this season.

But if the finishes continue to be fantastic, there doesn't seem to be much need for one.

The No. 1 Greyhounds found themselves trailing most of yesterday afternoon against visiting St. Mary's before righting themselves with seven of the game's last eight goals to come away with a 10-7 win.

Zimmerman (four goals, one assist) scored with 4: 41 left in the fourth quarter to give the Greyhounds their first lead at 8-7 and the goal turned out to be the game-winner to push their record to 12-0.

Help offensively came from Andrew Lucas, who also scored four times -- including two in the last 34 seconds of the third quarter to cut the St. Mary's lead to 6-5. Ryan Boyle had three assists and goalie Jay Pfeifer came away with 17 saves to offset a stellar 16-save performance from St. Mary's goalie Tillman Johnson.

In the end, when it counts most, Gilman had its way.

"We're a second-half team. Coach [David] Allan always gives us a pretty good talk at half and we come out on fire," said Zimmerman. "We knew we could win, we just had to dig down deep. We played a lot smarter in the second half, the defense came up big and Jay had some big saves to keep us in the game."

For awhile, it didn't look like the Greyhounds were even in the game.

St. Mary's (9-4) dominated possession in the first quarter and was rewarded with a fast 3-0 lead with all three goals coming in a span of a minute midway through. Then it was Johnson's turn to contribute, turning back three straight Gilman shots in the closing two minutes of the quarter.

The Greyhounds collected themselves in the second quarter -- Lucas closing out the first-half scoring with a transition goal off a feed from Patrick O'Hearn -- to close to 4-3, only to see St. Mary's reclaim a three-goal lead throughout most of the third.

Gilman's final surge -- starting with better work on the draws -- came next.

"It's not how we planned it," said Allan. "It was a lot of kids doing a lot of different things to win. They played hard against a good team and seem to be able to come alive when our backs are against the wall."

The Saints, coming off Monday's emotional 8-2 win at No. 5 Severna Park, got two goals each from Joe Thompson and Matt Lehmann. Matt White added one goal and one assist.

Johnson's work in the cage was often spectacular, particularly in the first half. Finding an answer to him became a top priority for Gilman.

"He was huge in the first half," said Zimmerman. "A lot of it was psychological. We just had to stop thinking about placing our shots and just shooting it hard. That's when they started going in."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.