Mayo couple treated for carbon monoxide from home generator

April 26, 2000|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A Mayo couple were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning yesterday after the noxious fumes built up in their home from an improperly ventilated gas-powered generator, officials said.

William Phips, 67, and his wife, Virginia, 60, were taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where they were placed in a hyperbaric chamber and later released.

A contractor working on a new floor at their house refused treatment, a hospital spokeswoman said.

A rescue squad was dispatched to the couple's new home in the 4100 block of Carrs Ridge Road about 11: 30 a.m. when William Phips became unconscious. The couple had moved the generator to their basement, which didn't have proper ventilation, said Anne Arundel County Fire Battalion Chief John M. Scholz.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal, Scholz said. The gas is colorless and odorless but can be discovered early through carbon monoxide detectors.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, nausea, vomiting and cherry-red skin.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.