Chain saw sparks 3-alarm fire that destroys house in Severn

April 25, 2000|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A Severn home was destroyed yesterday in a three-alarm blaze that officials say was ignited by a hot electric chain saw left too close to combustable materials, officials said.

A neighbor knocked on the door about 2 p.m. to alert the family to flames coming from the back of the two-story house in the 1200 block of Thompson Ave., said county Battalion Chief John M. Scholz, the fire department spokesman. Two of the home's three adult occupants, who were there at the time, escaped without injury. They had been working in the back yard and stopped to get a drink and rest, said Scholz.

Nearly 50 firefighters from the county and Baltimore-Washington International Airport needed about 45 minutes to control the blaze, which spread through most of the structure. Damage to the house and a shed was estimated at more than $160,000.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.