Trial in Carroll child porn case delayed

April 20, 2000|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,SUN STAFF

The trial of a Sykesville man accused of soliciting two boys last year for pornographic pictures, videos and sexual offenses was postponed yesterday after the prosecutor requested time to seek additional charges.

Carroll Circuit Judge Michael M. Galloway granted the delay in the jury trial of William R. Williams, 45, who lived in Westminster at the time of the alleged incidents.

Prosecutor Tracey A. Gilmore said a new trial date of May 10 would allow time to take new information to a county grand jury May 4 and would not jeopardize speedy trial laws that require a defendant to be tried within 180 days.

Gilmore said the new information relates to the age of a juvenile, which is important in cases of alleged sexual offenses.

"If a victim of a sexual offense is 14 years old, or over, the proper charge is a third-degree sex offense," he said. "But if a victim is under 14, the proper charge is a second-degree sex offense."

According to court documents, Williams was arrested Oct. 27 after he was accused of offering to pay two boys, who are now 14 and 15, for sexually explicit pictures he planned to use to start a pornographic Web site.

He was charged with two counts each of soliciting minors for pornographic purposes, permitting minors to engage in pornographic activity and filming minors in sexual activity.

Several days later, Williams was charged with additional counts of sodomy, perverted practice and sexual offenses, court records show.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.