W. LeRoy Conklin, 90, moving company founder W. LeRoy...

April 17, 2000

W. LeRoy Conklin, 90, moving company founder

W. LeRoy Conklin, founder of a Baltimore moving company, died Wednesday of a massive heart attack at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. He was 90.

The longtime resident of Jacksonville in Baltimore County was born into a moving-company family and raised near Greenmount Avenue. He attended city public schools.

He worked for his father, George Roscoe Conklin, who had established Greenmount Moving and Storage Co. in 1915.

In 1939, he went out on his own and founded Advance Storage and Movers near North Avenue Market. Today, the business is in eastern Baltimore County.

The company's blue and white trucks are as familiar to Baltimoreans as its slogan, "We moved your neighbor, why not you?"

"The reason he named the company Advance is because he wanted to be the first in the phone book, and he knew he'd have a better shot if he were up front in the book to get business," said his son Don D. Conklin, president of the family-owned company.

Mr. Conklin retired in 1976.

An accomplished carpenter, in 1942 he began designing and building the Jacksonville home where he lived for 58 years.

In 1920, he married Alberta Lins, who died in 1977.

He was a longtime member of Lovely Lane United Methodist Church, where he sang in the choir. Services were held there Saturday.

He is survived by another son, Daniel L. Conklin of Jacksonville; a daughter, Carole Joy Quinan of Jacksonville; nine grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

John Patrick Tierney, 80, artist for Bendix radio

John Patrick Tierney, who retired as supervisor of the graphic arts department at Bendix Field Engineering Co. plant in Columbia, died Wednesday of pneumonia at his Northwest Baltimore home. He was 80.

He began working for Ben- dix Radio in 1952 as a draftsman and later became supervisor of the company's graphic arts department, which was responsible for producing art, photography and for printing. He retired in 1983.

Born to Irish immigrant parents, he was raised in Newark, N.J., and graduated from high school in Maplewood, N.J., in 1938.

He was an Army Signal Corps staff sergeant in Europe during World War II and was discharged in 1945.

In 1946, he married Mary Elizabeth Walker and they moved to Baltimore, where he attended Martinet Art School.

An avid bicyclist, he was a member of Baltimore Bicycling Club.

He had been active in Boy Scouts.

He was a communicant of St. Charles Borromeo Roman Catho- lic Church in Pikesville, where a Mass of Christian burial was offered Saturday.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by two sons, Michael P. Tierney of Timonium and Dr. Steven Tierney of Anchorage, Alaska; a daughter, Beth A. Tierney-Thurber of Boston; a brother, James Tierney of Lakehurst, N.J.; a sister, Alice Ash of Lakewood, N.J; and two grandchildren.

Winfield H. Stinchcomb, 75, Talbot County farmer

Winfield H. Stinchcomb, who farmed in Talbot County for nearly 50 years, died Tuesday at Memorial Hospital at Easton. He was 75.

Mr. Stinchcomb suffered cardiac arrest and drowned in a pool, said family members.

Mr. Stinchcomb raised corn and beans on Clay Neck and Clay Hills farms in McDaniel.

The son of a farmer, he was born and raised in Millersville. He was educated in Anne Arundel County public schools.

He farmed with his father until 1951, when he moved to McDaniel.

He was a member of Easton Elks Lodge 1622, Miles River Yacht Club, Granite Lodge 177 AS.F.& A.M. and Talbot County Farm Bureau.

He enjoyed fishing and hunting.

He was a communicant of Christ Episcopal Church in St. Michaels, where services were held Saturday.

He is survived by his wife of 50 years, the former Betty Jane Wellham; a son, Winfield Oliver Stinchcomb of McDaniel; two daughters, Jane Maloney of Cambridge and Jeanine Wagner of Easton; and a granddaughter.

Charles Rockingberg, 74, stationary engineer, boxer

Charles Edward Rockingberg, a former stationary engineer and featherweight boxing champion, died April 8 of heart failure at his Mount Airy home. He was 74.

A former longtime Berwyn Heights resident, he had lived in Mount Airy since 1990.

He worked at the now-closed Capitol Hill Hospital in Washington for 18 years. He was in charge of the heating plant before retiring in the early 1990s. Earlier, he was a painter at the Washington Hotel.

He was born in Washington, where he graduated from high school.

In 1942, Mr. Rockingberg was Golden Gloves featherweight champion for Washington. He had a brief career as a professional boxer.

Plans for services were incomplete last week.

He is survived by his wife, the former Rose Marie Gebbia, whom he married in 1957; four sons, Timothy Rockingberg and Patrick T. Rockingberg, both of Mount Airy, Jeff Rockingberg of Frederick and Eric Rockingberg of Washington; a daughter, Margaret Christian of Ellicott City; and eight grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.