Man shot during holdup at bar identified as released convict

31-year-old served 9 years of an 11-year sentence

April 11, 2000|By Mark Ribbing | Mark Ribbing,SUN STAFF

A man shot by police Sunday during a holdup of a Northeast Baltimore bar was identified yesterday as a convicted armed robber who was released from prison in 1998 after serving nine years of an 11-year sentence.

Antonio Harris, 31, of the 6000 block of Moravia Park Drive was in good condition at Johns Hopkins Hospital and was expected to be transferred to police custody last night.

Harris was shot by Officer Dave Knight in the thigh and groin after two men allegedly took $400 from Sheldon's Lounge in the 4300 block of Belair Road. When confronted by police, Cecil J. Anderson, 26, of the 800 block of N. Milton Ave. dropped his weapon and surrendered, police said.

Acting Police Commissioner Edward T. Norris said a preliminary investigation showed that Harris was approaching an officer with a gun and ignored demands to drop the weapon when he was shot.

Police recovered two guns and $400.

Harris had been under maximum supervision by the Department of Parole and Probation after he was released in 1998 from prison.

A prison official said Harris had been meeting the terms of his supervision: at least two meetings per month with parole and probation representatives. Harris was employed, but the official declined to identify his place of employment.

Anderson was charged with armed robbery, assault and handgun violations and was being held at Central Booking and Intake Center. He is expected to have a bail hearing today.

Sun staff writer Peter Hermann contributed to this article.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.