Orange tide engulfs Loyola

7-goal Syracuse burst in 4th shuts door, 16-9

April 08, 2000|By Gary Lambrecht | Gary Lambrecht,SUN STAFF

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- The Loyola Greyhounds came closer than the score made it look.

They held the vaunted Syracuse offense at bay for three quarters, even keeping the Orangemen off the scoreboard for a stretch that spanned more than 24 minutes.

They made All-America attackman Ryan Powell look ordinary at times. Even their lightly-regarded goalkeeper, Jason Born, outplayed Rob Mulligan, his much-publicized counterpart, for much of the game.

But the No. 3 Greyhounds could not overcome their offensive shortcomings, and they could not contain Powell when it counted the most, as the top-ranked Orangemen erupted for seven straight goals in the last half of the fourth quarter to blow out Loyola, 16-9, before 7,713 at the Carrier Dome last night.

Loyola (7-1), seeking to win for the second straight time at Syracuse and trying to pull off its third consecutive regular-season victory over the Orangemen (7-0), bid gamely for the upset by taking a 6-3 halftime lead and by taking Powell out of the action early.

But Powell, with midfielder Tim Byrnes and attackman Michael Springer, had the last word. Powell scored three of his four goals during the 7-0 run that dealt Loyola its first regular-season loss in 31 games.

Powell added two of his four assists during that span. Byrnes scored two of his three goals during the run. Springer finished with two goals and two assists, including a goal and an assist during the finish that had the home crowd roaring.

Loyola did not help itself by bogging down offensively in a scoreless third quarter, then by dragging through a fourth quarter in which the Greyhounds' legs tired, their clears got sloppy and their faceoff ability vanished in a wave of Syracuse momentum.

"We were able to hold the ball a lot in the first half," Loyola coach Dave Cottle said. "For two quarters, we did exactly what we wanted. But against a team like this in a place like this, you have to do things right for 60 minutes.

"All of a sudden, we weren't getting good possessions and we were playing too much defense. And we got a little tired in the fourth quarter chasing them around."

The game featured seven ties and Syracuse did not take its first lead until attackman Liam Banks gave it a 7-6 lead with 13: 35 to go in the game. Little did the crowd know that Banks had sparked a 10-goal quarter, by far the biggest blast the Greyhounds have absorbed this season.

The Orangemen poured it on in top-ranked fashion. They outshot Loyola, 26-13, in the second half, won 19 of 28 faceoffs -- nine of 13 in the final period -- and beat the Greyhounds decisively to ground balls in crunch time. And they made Born pay after he had lifted Loyola with an outstanding, seven-save effort in the first half.

"I was having fun," Born said. "But a three-goal lead is nothing. They started firing away in the second half."

After Loyola tied the score at nine on a goal by Mike Sullivan with 7: 25 left, the Orangemen commenced firing. Powell started the run with an unassisted goal. Born, in a show of frustration, threw the ball away and got hit with a delay-of-game penalty, giving away the faceoff. Springer quickly fed Powell for an 11-9 lead with 6: 04 left.

The Greyhounds then blew their next clear, and Byrnes scored to make it 12-9. After Springer pushed the lead to 13-9, the Greyhounds pulled Born to double-team the ball. The Orangemen put an exclamation on the night after that.

"We made a coaching decision to try to win the game, instead of keeping it close," Cottle said.

The game's momentum seemed to turn on a crease violation by the Greyhounds, on a play that would have given them a 7-3 lead with 4: 50 left in the third quarter. Bobby Horsey appeared to score, but was ruled in the crease after being awarded the goal.

That would have ended a Greyhounds scoring drought at nearly 19 minutes. Instead, the pain went on for another seven.

"We've got to bounce back from that [reversal]. We've got to dig in and get a stop the next time," Cottle said.

The Orangemen, who had stumbled with poor shots and turnovers throughout a first half in which Powell met his match in defenseman Joe Rodrigues, took quick advantage of their new life and ended their own scoring drought. Byrnes fought his way past Mike Stromberg to score from in close to cut the Greyhounds' lead to 6-4 with 4: 19 left in the third period.

That started a four-goal run that gave Syracuse its first lead of the game. First, Matt Caione fired a shot past Born from 12 yards to make it 6-5. Then, the Greyhounds found themselves two men down on defense to close out the quarter, and Syracuse made them pay with six seconds left.

Born had made two impressive saves minutes earlier, but he could not stop Caione's bullet from 13 yards after a perfect feed by Powell. That tied the game at six.

The Greyhounds then lost the lead, but tied the score three more times on goals by Tim Goettelmann (two goals), Horsey and Sullivan, who finished with two.

"I thought we had a pretty good chance at 9-9," Goettelmann said.

But Syracuse was just getting started.

Loyola 2 4 0 3 -- 9

Syracuse 2 1 3 10 -- 16

Goals: L--Goettelmann 2, Prout 2, Sullivan 2, Battista, Haas, Horsey; S--Powell 4, Byrnes 3, Springer 2, Caione 2, Coffman 2, Banks, Hardy, Kennedy. Assists: L--Goettelmann 2, Prout, Sullivan; S--Powell 4, Coffman 3, Byrnes 2, Springer 2, Banks, Caione. Saves: L--born 11, Bloomquist 0; S--Mulligan 11.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.