Late rally pushes Panthers past Cavaliers, 9-6

N. Carroll's Sirman nets 3 goals in final 11 minutes

Boys lacrosse

April 05, 2000|By Edward Lee | Edward Lee,SUN STAFF

After scoring two quick goals in the third quarter to take a 4-3 lead in a boys lacrosse game against North Carroll last night, the South Carroll boys lacrosse team raucously cheered when the Panthers called a timeout.

The celebration proved to be premature as junior midfielder Kevin Sirman registered a hat trick in the final 11 minutes of the game to help North Carroll outlast the visiting Cavaliers, 9-6, in Hampstead.

The victory helped the Panthers -- who ousted South Carroll from the regionals in a semifinal matchup last season -- improve to 3-1 overall and 1-0 in the county and gave them a measure of confidence.

"It was a very important game because we wanted to gain some respect in the county to show that we will be competitive," said Sirman, who also had an assist.

Junior goalkeeper Kyle Lettau, who recorded 15 saves, said the win would help North Carroll get rid of its reputation as a doormat to the other county teams.

"North Carroll never had any respect because everyone walked all over us," Lettau said. "We want to change that."

The Cavaliers (1-3 overall, 0-1 in the county) dropped their second straight game. A 31-26 advantage in shots, a 30-24 edge in groundballs, and a 7-2 lead in extra-man opportunities made the loss even more difficult to swallow.

"I think we came out shooting, and that's what we wanted to do," said South Carroll coach John O'Meally, who was forced to play without junior playmaker Jesse Buppert (sidelined indefinitely with a knee injury). "But Lettau made some saves for them."

Trailing by a 3-2 margin at the half, the Cavaliers got two goals from sophomore attack John Williams and senior midfielder Derek Clark in a 41-second span to take a 4-3 lead.

A timeout called by Panthers coach David Dodson seemed to settle the team as midfielder Jesse Gelb bounced a shot from 20 yards away past South Carroll senior goalkeeper Matt Booz (three saves) at the 2: 56 mark.

The goal opened the floodgates for Sirman and sophomore attack Nick Thurston (two goals and two assists). Sirman, who missed the first three games of the season before playing sporadically in Friday's win against Wilde Lake, beat Booz with 17 seconds left in the third quarter to give North Carroll a 5-4 lead.

Goals by Sirman and Thurston sandwiched a score by senior midfielder Pete Shaffer, and Sirman got the final tally of his hat trick with 2: 03 left in the game.

After junior attack Anthony Aschenbrenner scored his third goal of the game with 1: 37 left to make it an 8-6 Panthers lead, Thurston needed just 20 seconds to notch his second goal of the night and clinch the victory.

Dodson said he thought the team capitalized on the timeout in the third quarter.

"I tried to rally the troops a bit, and it worked," Dodson said. "I told them that we had never beaten South Carroll twice in a row. . . . This was a good win for us."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.