Annapolis, Walker frustrate Severna Pk.

Last-second free shot gives Falcons first loss, 8-7

Girls lacrosse

April 01, 2000|By Pete Bielski | Pete Bielski,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Junior midfielder Acacia Walker overcome a charley horse and some serious double-teaming to lead the visiting Annapolis High girls lacrosse team to a last-second 8-7 victory over Anne Arundel County rival Severna Park yesterday.

The junior phenom was working the clock for a final shot when she was fouled by a pair of Severna Park defenders with 2 seconds remaining. On the ensuing free-position shot, she quickly snapped a low bouncer into the goal to propel the two-time defending state champs to victory.

"I tried to ignore the pressure of the situation," said Walker following her third goal of the game and 10th of the season. "I didn't think they would call [the foul]. I thought we were going into overtime."

No. 3 Annapolis improved to 4-0-1. Its tie came against No. 4 Roland Park.

It was a difficult loss for the No. 5 Falcons (5-1). They overcame an early two-goal deficit and forged a 5-4 halftime lead. After allowing a game-tying goal in the opening five minutes of the second half, Severna Park got a pair of goals from attacker Kristen Burke to take control.

Twice within a 40-second span, she maneuvered herself past Annapolis defenders to convert point-blank shots. Her outburst posted Severna Park to a 7-5 lead with 12: 48 remaining. Even more, the Falcons were controlling the midfield, time of possession, and seemed poised for an upset.

But Annapolis goalie Emily Childs responded with some big saves to prevent her team from falling three goals down. First, she stopped another opportunity by Burke at her feet, then she went high to deflect a shot by Severna Park standout Meg Miller. Childs finished with 13 saves.

Finally, Annapolis stopped its 12-minutes scoreless steak when Katie Hartman converted on an eight-yard free-position shot of her own. But Annapolis seemed in trouble when do-everything Walker sustained a charley horse and was forced to the sideline with 6: 27 left.

But two minutes later she returned, and on the dead run back onto the field, she received a pass from Sarah Oliphant. From the top of the circle, she fired a low whistler that found its way past numerous legs and Severna Park goalie Kim Lawton, who had little chance to see the shot that tied the game at 7-7 with 4: 03 left.

"When I came from off the bench, I don't think they saw me," Walker said. "Actually, I didn't think I really had the ball when I shot it."

After trailing 3-1, Severna Park got goals from Kate Hickman, Nicki Barnes, and two from Jen Cielewich to take a 5-3 lead with less than 3: 00 to go in the half. But Annapolis got a key goal from Walker with 1: 53 to go in the half.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.