Fallston slips past Towson, 6-4

Bosse scores four goals to pace Cougars to wet win

Boys lacrosse

High Schools

March 28, 2000|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

The Towson boys lacrosse team got out of the blocks early for a two-goal lead yesterday, seemingly ready to rip visiting Fallston in the rain.

But the Cougars of Harford County hauled their collective sticks out of the mud long enough to secure a come-from-behind 6-4 victory in a battle of returning state runners-up.

Matt Bosse scored four goals, and Bryan Bradford had three assists as last spring's 4A-3A state runners-up improved to 2-0, and last year's 2A-1A finalists dropped to 1-1.

Fallston's Joe Trentzsch scored twice and helped the Cougars to claim an 8-4 advantage in faceoffs. Junior defender Matt Warfield limited Towson's playmaker, Ben DeFelice, to no points.

"Our kids weren't with it early, kind of missed some shots after a couple of long possessions by Towson," said Fallston's first-year coach, Matt Parks. "But when it came to crunch time, we took good shots. They showed a lot of heart today."

Towson led 2-0 with 7: 18 left in the first period on goals by Fritz Eisenbrandt and Dan Swift, respectively. But Fallston's defense dug in, allowing Bosse to make it 2-2 by halftime on scores with 2: 33 left in the first period and 6: 01 before the intermission.

After about eight minutes of third-period possession, when an intermittent drizzle turned into a downpour, Towson's Nick Williams gave his team a 3-2 lead.

Williams set up the score by juking a defender, who slipped to the ground, and then rifling the ball past keeper Justin Evans (nine saves) with 1: 11 left in the third period.

Bosse tied the game with his third goal 14 seconds later, however, and the Cougars had a permanent lead 45 seconds after that on Trentzsch's empty-net goal.

Trentzsch beat Towson keeper Andy Posil (11 saves) to a loose ball for the go-ahead score.

"I saw the goalie come out for the short pass, so I left my guy, ran toward him, trying to take the ball," Trentzsch said. "He ended up missing the ball, so I scooped it up and had an easy goal, no goalie in the net. It got us all pumped up. It was big."

Bosse's fourth goal, with 8: 35 remaining, gave the Cougars a two-goal cushion, but Towson wasn't done.

Swift's second goal put the Generals within 5-4 with 2: 26 to play. Towson then pressed for the tying goal, but came up with three straight misses.

First, Williams whiffed a shot with 45 seconds to play. Then, DeFelice caught the left-side pipe with 22 seconds left.

Finally, Williams wound up for yet another shot, but defender Matt Cooper checked the ball from his stick.

Bradford scooped the loose ball, ran across the midfield stripe and dished off to Trentzsch, whose sling-volley from about 25 yards got behind an oncoming Posil and bounced into the net just before the game ended.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.