Tax questions

March 24, 2000

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15.

Do active-duty military members (Maryland residents) residing out of state because of military orders get any "breaks" on state taxes?

As a resident of Maryland, you are required to file a Maryland income tax return that includes all income (so that it matches the federal adjusted gross income). Maryland does not have any specific tax breaks for military personnel stationed outside the state. For more information see page 16 of your Maryland tax booklet. If the other state imposes taxes, you should be eligible for a credit on your Maryland return for some or all of the income taxes paid to the other state. This is calculated on Form 502 CR.

Carol Katz, CPA, Leonard J. Miller & Associates, Chtd

The above advice is for general purposes onlyand is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.