No. 3 St. Mary's overcomes Loyola in 2nd overtime, 9-8

Mullen's second goal lifts Saints to 9-8 victory

Boys lacrosse

March 23, 2000|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

Senior attack Justin Mullen's second goal of the game in the second overtime gave No. 3 St. Mary's a thrilling 9-8 decision over No. 5 Loyola at Weems Whelan Field in Annapolis yesterday.

In what was the first game of the season for both Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference contenders, the host Saints staged a furious rally in the final minute to score two goals and force overtime.

"To come back like that is a quality win, a big win," said coach Jim Moorhead, starting his 21st and final season at St. Mary's.

Dave Price scored the Saints' second extra-man goal with 56 seconds left to make it 8-7 and Mullen fed junior attack Matt White, who bounced his third goal into the net with five seconds leftfor an 8-8 tie.

Outstanding performances by both goalies, senior Tillman Johnson (14 saves) of St. Mary's and Loyola junior Trey Rodgers (21 saves), who was making his first varsity start under fire, prevented either team from pulling away.

"We didn't know what Trey would do, but he was terrific and I think we found a goalie," said Loyola coach John Tucker of his 5-foot-5 keeper.

The game was tied six times with the biggest leads 2-0 by St. Mary's to start the game and Loyola by 8-6 in the final minute.

After the first overtime didn't decide anything, Mullen's tight stick-and-spin move ended it in the second overtime. Loyola's All-Metro defenseman Ricky Schultz, who will play for Princeton, had covered Mullen most of the game, but when a switch developed, Mullen took advantage.

It was a special win for the St. Mary's seniors, who overcame four goals by Dons senior attack Brian Miller. The last St. Mary's win over Loyola came in 1996, the Saints' banner 17-0 season.

"We have 19 seniors on our team, eight of them start and no one wants to lose," said Mullen.

"It's the first win the seniors have had over Loyola in four years."

The Dons had won the regular-season games the last three years and humbled the Saints, 12-5, in last spring's MIAA A Conference semifinals.

"It feels pretty good to finally beat them," said Mullen, who said his team was "confident" from the start and even when they were down by two late.

Following a scoreless first period, the Saints took a quick 2-0 lead in the second period on goals by White and Mullen. Andrew White put Loyola on the board with 9: 18 left in the half and Miller's first of four scores tied it at two with 6: 58 left.

Miller scored twice of assists by Mike Alfone and Clipper Lennon within a minute in the final period. The second one gave the Dons an 8-6 lead with 4: 01 remaining in the game.

After Price scored for the Saints to make it 8-7, Miller got off a missile that was somehow blocked by Johnson with 33 seconds left. That gave the Saints a chance to tie and White did to send it into overtime.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.