Tax questions

March 23, 2000

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15.

I helped my niece file her taxes and after we mailed it realized we forgot to attach the Hope Education Credit form to the 1040. What should we do?

If you filed a return claiming an education credit and failed to attach Form 8863, the IRS will either send a letter requesting the form or it could process the return with or without the credit. Wait until you see how the IRS processes the return before taking action. It is likely that it will send a letter requesting the form. In the worst-case scenario, you will have to file an amended return to include the form. An amended return is filed on Form 1040X.

Carol Katz, CPA, Leonard J. Miller & Associates.

The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.