Tax questions

March 14, 2000

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15. See below for how to submit a question.

My husband and I file a joint return, however, he owes past child-support payments that are collected through his tax refund. How can I shield my portion of the refunds from going to pay his child support?

In the case of a jointly filed return where back child support is being impounded from one spouse, the "innocent spouse" may fill out and attach Form 8379 to the federal return and Form 502INJ to the Maryland return. In this way, there will be equitable relief available for the non-owing spouse.

Leo E. Bruette, CPA

BDO Seidman LLP

The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

To ask a tax question, call Sundial, The Sun's telephone information service, at 410-783-1800. Call 410-268-7736 in Anne Arundel County, 410-836-5028 in Harford County, 410-848-0338 in Carroll County. Using a touch-tone phone, punch in the four-digit code 6225 after the greeting.

To submit questions by e-mail and access an online tax guide, go to The Sun's Web site at

Selected questions will be answered in the Business section. No questions will be answered personally.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.