Aberdeen tops Fort Hill, 61-56

Eagles, Guy land in final tonight vs. Gwynn Park

Boys 2A state semifinal

High Schools

March 11, 2000|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

COLLEGE PARK -- With his team's state championship aspirations crackling under the torrid shooting of Fort Hill's Jeremy Snyder, Aberdeen's Bill Guy was cool in the clutch last night.

In the final quarter, Guy scored his team's first seven points, finished with a game-high 20 points, and lifted the No. 7 Eagles to a 61-56 victory in a boys Class 2A semifinal game at the University of Maryland.

The Eagles (25-1) will play in the state championship game tonight at 6 against Gwynn Park of Prince George's County, ranked No. 10 in the Washington area. Gwynn Park defeated the area's No. 15 team, Edmondson, in the other semifinal.

Tylan Gatling added 16 points for Aberdeen, which will be shooting for its first state championship since 1976. Snyder led all scorers with 32 points for the Cumberland school, and Eric Dudley had 14 points and four assists.

Snyder, a 6-foot-4 junior, scored 25 points in the second half, including four three-pointers to bring the Sentinels (21-4) back from a 13-point deficit to 40-39 after three quarters.

Guy, a 6-1 senior, opened the final quarter with a three-pointer, then matched a jumper by Snyder before adding two free throws for a 47-41 lead with 5: 15 remaining.

One of four starters back from last year's Aberdeen squad that lost in the state 2A semifinals, Guy has had an inconsistent season.

"In the fourth quarter we had to slow the ball down," said Guy, who averaged 15.3 points coming in last night. "I had the opportunity to penetrate the middle and draw some fouls."

A three-pointer by Teon Edwards from the top of the key gave Aberdeen a 50-41 lead with 4: 47 left. But Snyder again brought Fort Hill back, hitting his final three-pointer with 2: 10 left, to get the Sentinels within 53-51. However, the Eagles pulled away with solid free-throw shooting.

"Both teams played hard and both gave an effort," Fort Hill coach Dave Hobel said. "Number 20 [Guy] really stepped it up when we made that run."

Leading 12-10 after the initial eight minutes of play, Aberdeen started ceasing command, scoring eight straight for a 20-10 lead with 5: 16 remaining in the second quarter.

Lewis helped punctuate the surge by first blocking a shot, then starting an Eagles transition that resulted in a layup by Gatling and a foul.

It was 30-20 at halftime after Snyder hit his first three-pointer, but he was just getting warmed up despite the Eagles using three players to defend him.

"From the articles I read, that has happened before where he had four or six points at halftime, then came out in the second half and lit it up," said Aberdeen coach Richard Hart. "We thought that could happen, and I warned them against that type of thing, but there's not a lot you can do sometimes."

Boys basketball playoffs

State semifinals (At Univ. of Md. College Park)

Yesterday's games

Class 2A

Aberdeen 61, Fort Hill 56

Gwynn Park 76, Edmondson 58

Class 1A

Pikesville 64, Brunswick 54

Crisfield 54, Williamsport 52

Thursday's games

Class 4A

Quince Orchard 57, Meade 50

Oxon Hill 55, Southern-B, 44

Class 3A

Paint Branch 63, Annapolis 56

Randallstown 53,

Northern-Calvert 46

State finals

Today's games

Class 1A

Pikesville vs. Crisfield, 1

Class 3A

Randallstown vs. Paint Branch, 3

Class 2A

Aberdeen vs. Gwynn Park, 6

Class 4A

Quince Orchard vs. Oxon Hill, 8

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.