Family escapes fire that destroys home

Officials investigating factory blaze in Dundalk

March 07, 2000|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A Rosedale family lost its home to a blaze caused by an unattended candle yesterday morning but escaped injury, Baltimore County Fire Department authorities said.

Authorities were alerted to the house fire at 9: 47 a.m. yesterday when police received a call from a family member living in the 8100 block of Sumter Ave. The residents, John and Doris Pfifer and their daughter, were at home.

When fire personnel arrived, "the house was totally engulfed in flames," said Lt. Robert Rossman of the county Fire Department. A Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. spokesman said the home had electricity.

It took firefighters about two hours to control the one-alarm fire. The candle had been in a second-floor bedroom. Officials said the fire caused about $135,000 in damage and destroyed the home.

Also yesterday, officials said they had not established the cause of a fire Sunday in a Dundalk factory that left 40 employees out of work.

Rossman said authorities should know today what started the five-alarm fire at the Owl Corp. paper recycling plant in the 1900 block of Graves Court.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.