Electrical fire nearly destroys Arundel `Home of the Week'

House in Annapolis was remodeled recently

March 03, 2000|By Laura Barnhardt | Laura Barnhardt,SUN STAFF

An Annapolis house recently remodeled by a young couple and featured in a local newspaper as "Home of the Week" was nearly destroyed by an electrical fire yesterday morning, fire officials said.

"It's unhabitable at the present time," Annapolis fire Capt. Leonard Clark said of the 1920s-era house on Maple Avenue.

The house, owned by Scott and Kathryn Tominovich, featured pine floors and antique furnishings.

Kathryn Tominovich was home with her 3-week-old baby when the two-alarm fire broke out at 8 a.m. in the basement, the captain said.

She was alerted by smoke detectors; no one was injured.

It took more than 35 firefighters from the city, county and Naval Academy departments about 30 minutes to extinguish the blaze.

"There's a lot of damage," said Kathryn Tominovich.

"We just finished [the renovation]. But everyone's OK," she said.

The family will stay with relatives in the area, she said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.