Tax questions

March 02, 2000

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15. See below for how to submit a question.

I'm currently repaying Maryland for the overpayment of a tax refund paid me for 1996. I have made arrangements for the state to take it out of my payroll check. If I file my Maryland tax return now, will the state also deduct from any refund due me for 1999?

If taxpayer(s) have any outstanding balances due to the state of Maryland for current or prior years, the state will impound any 1999 overpayment and apply it to the outstanding amounts due.

Leo E. Bruette, CPA, BDO Seidman, LLP

The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

To ask a tax question, call Sundial, The Sun's telephone information service, at 410-783-1800. Call 410-268-7736 in Anne Arundel County, 410-836-5028 in Harford County, 410-848-0338 in Carroll County. Using a Touch-Tone phone, punch in the four-digit code 6225 after the greeting. To submit questions by e-mail and access an online tax guide, go to The Sun's Web site at

Selected questions will be answered in the Business section. No questions will be answered personally.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.