John Nichol Irwin II, 86, a New York City lawyer and...

Deaths Elsewhere

March 01, 2000

John Nichol Irwin II, 86, a New York City lawyer and diplomat who served under Gen. Douglas MacArthur during World War II and later became ambassador to France, died Monday at a hospital in New Haven, Conn. Mr. Irwin was under secretary of state from 1970 to 1972 and deputy secretary of state from 1972 to 1973. In 1973, he was appointed ambassador to France, a position he held until the next year. He was awarded the Medal of Freedom by President Richard M. Nixon and the Legion d'Honneur by the French government.

Survivors include a daughter, Jane W. I. Droppa of Ellicott City.

Aubrey E. Robinson Jr., 77, the former chief judge of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia who in 1987 sentenced Jonathan Jay Pollard to life in prison for spying for Israel, died Sunday in Washington of a heart attack.

Jean Vallette d'Osia, 101, a French lieutenant general who leaped in handcuffs from a moving train to escape from the Gestapo while a Resistance leader during World War II, died Monday at his home in Annecy in the French Alps, friends said yesterday.

Betsie Verwoerd, 98, the widow of South Africa's architect of apartheid and former prime minister, Hendrik Verwoerd, died yesterday , her family said in a statement from her home in the whites-only town of Orania. She had lived there for the past eight years and was regarded as a symbol of Afrikaner freedom.

Kariel Gardos, 78, a veteran caricaturist whose cartoon character Srulik became a symbol of Israel as recognizable to his countrymen as Uncle Sam is to Americans, died of cardiac arrest Monday in Tel Aviv.

Dr. John C. Lungren, 83, the personal physician of President Richard M. Nixon who was credited with saving his life in 1974 by diagnosing a blood clot in his leg, died Monday in Long Beach, Calif.

Shortly after Mr. Nixon resigned in 1974, Dr. Lungren diagnosed a blood clot that had formed in his phlebitis-damaged left leg, passed through his heart and damaged his lung. Another doctor performed emergency surgery.

Harold M. Mulvey, 86, the former Superior Court judge who presided over the highly charged Black Panther trial in the early 1970s, died Sunday in New Haven, Conn.

The six-month murder trial of national Black Panther leader Bobby G. Seale and local leader Ericka Huggins ended in a hung jury. Mr. Seale, chairman of the militant group, was accused of ordering the killing of a local Panther member, Alex Rackley, a suspected police informer.

John Govy Prude, 95, whose family runs a century-old ranch that attracts thousands of tourists to the remote Davis Mountains in west Texas each year, died Thursday in Fort Davis, Texas.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.