Uncle feels relief with arrests of Moores

Brothers taken into custody at his Philadelphia home

February 21, 2000|By Dennis O'Brien | Dennis O'Brien,SUN STAFF

PHILADELPHIA -- When police burst through David Ebron's front door, pointed guns at him and ordered him to put his hands in the air, he felt only one emotion: relief.

"I feel like a weight has been lifted off me, and I'm just glad no one got hurt," Ebron said after police stormed his North Philadelphia rowhouse Saturday afternoon and arrested Richard Antonio Moore and Wesley John Moore.

Ebron, 66, took in his brother's grandsons when they showed up at his home about 6: 30 p.m. Thursday because they were family and needed a place to stay.

The Moore brothers, the targets of a multistate manhunt since the killing of Baltimore County police Sgt. Bruce A. Prothero on Feb. 7, arrived on foot and with only the clothes on their backs.

"They said they were going to Atlantic City and then to the Poconos," said Ebron, a retired construction worker who has lived in the three-story brick rowhouse since 1982. Ebron said he had last seen the Moores briefly at his mother's funeral in Baltimore three years ago.

"I only recognized them when they said their names because they were so young last time I got a good look at them," he said.

Ebron said the brothers seemed tense and didn't talk about the crime. They helped themselves to cold cuts in his refrigerator, watched some television, slept in bunk beds in a spare bedroom and went shopping for clothes hours before they were arrested, he said.

Richard Moore arrived with a syringe for his diabetes and asked where he could find a drug store to get his medication, Ebron said.

The two had no car and had a cellular telephone they were reluctant to use. Ebron told the brothers they couldn't make long distance calls from his phone, and he said they spent a lot of time going out to the pay phones on nearby Broad Street, the main thoroughfare in the neighborhood.

Ebron said he learned about the Prothero shooting when he opened a letter Friday afternoon from Angela Ebron, a niece who lives in Baltimore.

As he discussed his family history, Ebron eyed the surgical gloves left behind by Baltimore County detectives after they searched the house Saturday night.

Ebron said police told him they were searching for jewelry when they went through his home. They didn't find any, he said.

Neighbors and relatives said they were shocked when they heard that police had raided Ebron's home because he is well-regarded in the community.

"It's kind of a shock when you see your father's house on the TV news and hear [police] raided the place," said Maurice Ebron, who lives across the street and is one of David Ebron's nine children.

The son said he did not know the Moore brothers, and he is angry that they chose his father's house to hide out.

"They put his life in danger," he said. "They had no business coming here like that."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.