Annapolis building to get columns

February 15, 2000

Marble columns designed by one of early America's premier architects will be installed outside an Annapolis court building after being rescued from a state-owned field near the Maryland Correctional Institution in Jessup.

Eight columns designed by Benjamin Latrobe will be put in place Saturday outside the Robert F. Sweeney District Court Building.

Latrobe designed the columns for the Baltimore Exchange and Custom House, which was built between 1816 and 1820. The columns were transferred to the Court of Appeals building in Annapolis when the exchange building was torn down in 1901-1902.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.