Hammond finds revenge in downing Atholton for South 1A-2A title

Bears win 4th regional title in five seasons, 26-23

February 11, 2000|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

Hammond won its third straight South Region Class 1A-2A state wrestling title at Atholton last night, defeating the Raiders in the championship match, 26-23.

The Bears avenged an earlier two-point loss to Atholton that ended Hammond's 41-match league winning streak.

Winners of four regional titles in five seasons, Hammond will face Kent at noon Saturday in the state semifinals at Westlake High in Charles County. The Bears won state titles in 1996 and 1998.

Hammond had reached the finals yesterday by defeating top-seeded Poolesville, 36-30. The Bears forfeited the last four bouts in that match to conserve their energy for the finals.

Atholton, a 42-18 winner over Mount Hebron in the semifinals yesterday, started out well with a tech fall by 103-pounder Doug Ramsey, who had lost to Matt Myers in the regular-season match.

But the Raiders faltered against an improved effort from Hammond at several weight classes.

Jason Freiert reversed an earlier loss to Mike Shoemaker at 119 pounds, scoring a 14-13 decision. Shoemaker was leading 11-10 in the final period but was tagged with a penalty point for an illegal hold. Then he deliberately allowed Freiert to escape, giving Freiert the lead at 12-11. Instead of dropping Freiert, Shoemaker was taken down and his last-second reversal was too little, too late.

Atholton's Jason Hanfman bumped up from 130 to 135 pounds, and the move backfired, as he was beaten 12-7 by Joey Killo.

At 140 pounds, Rob Osborn joined Freiert in reversing an earlier loss to Atholton. Instead of wrestling Hanfman, he took on Robbie Allen and defeated him, 10-3.

Hammond's Will Shields (145 pounds) also reversed an earlier loss to Atholton and scored a major decision against John Assarof.

And Kevin Chrapaty (160 pounds) improved by scoring a major decision, again defeating Mike Dowdy.

"Everyone had to come through for us and they did," Chrapaty said. "It feels great to win it again."

At 171 pounds, Mark Carbone of Atholton won 2-1 on a stalling point in overtime against Scott Wallace. Carbone also was hit with a stalling call with one second left in regulation.

Carbone's failure to score at least a major decision clinched the match for Hammond.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.