Gas leak, explosion reported at mall

no propane detected

February 11, 2000|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

Firefighters responded to a report of a gas leak and explosion at Carrolltown Center in Eldersburg yesterday.

The initial report said an odor of propane was detected inside and outside the Kmart garage at the shopping mall. One employee was overcome by the odor and taken to the hospital, officials said. The employee was not identified.

Firefighters using devices that detect gas leaks found no evidence of propane and no evidence of an explosion, said Lt. Ken Fischer of Sykesville-Freedom District Fire Department.

By the time crews arrived, the building was evacuated and well-ventilated. Had gas been detected, firefighters would have used high-powered fans to diffuse it and would have notified Baltimore Gas and Electric Co.

"If we detect gas, we look for the source," Fischer said. "None of our crews detected any gas. We found no leaks and confirmed that with measuring devices."

Six engines from Sykesville, Gamber, Winfield and Baltimore County and a medical unit from Gamber responded to the incident at 1: 11 p.m.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.