Long-range shooting lifts River Hill

Nine 3-pointers get Hawks past Long Reach, 55-54

Boys basketball

February 08, 2000|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

With just five regularly scheduled games left, and six teams still contending for the county championship, every game between the contenders is critical.

River Hill (8-9 overall, 8-5 league) sank nine three-point baskets yesterday to stay alive in that race, rallying in the second half to defeat visiting Long Reach, 55-54.

The Hawks shot 64 percent (9 for 14) from three-point range. Point guard Dyami Jenkins (13 points, four steals) made three threes and Arin Gelletly and Chris McDonald each made two. Matt McCathorine (nine points, three assists, three steals) and Matt Tedrow added one apiece.

Jenkins, who normally doesn't shoot much, sank a three-pointer with 33 seconds left that put River Hill ahead 54-52.

"They were double-teaming down low, so I was able to get into position to shoot," Jenkins said.

Another factor was River Hill's ability to hold Long Reach's leading scorer, Josh Gross, to just eight points. Gross scored 15 when the Lightning defeated River Hill earlier this season.

"Last game Gross killed us, so today we played a 2-3 zone with Kevin Steenberge or Alex Nowak in the middle denying him the ball," said McCathorine, who gave the Hawks a 55-52 lead on a free throw with 24 seconds left after he made a steal and was fouled.

The Hawks trailed by 15 points early in the third quarter, after shooting just 27 percent (6 for 22) in the first half.

"Our coaches told us to give it our all at halftime, and in the middle of the third quarter we hit some shots and our intensity picked up," Gelletly said.

The Lightning (10-7, 8-5) turned it over its first four possessions of the fourth quarter, and River Hill took advantage with an 11-0 run that included three three-pointers -- two by McDonald and one by Jenkins. McDonald's second one put the Hawks ahead, 43-40, with 5: 13 to play.

Lightning coach Al Moraz said: "We just got complacent and stopped hustling."

Long Reach went to the foul line in a bonus situation twice in the final 13 seconds, making the first shot and missing the second. Both times the Lightning rebounded the misses but failed to sink follow-up shots. The Lightning's Anson Jones missed a three-pointer at the buzzer.

"We figured they would press us more. That's how they beat us the first time," Hawks coach Brian Van Deusen said. "It's nice to win a close one after losing several close ones this season."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.