Dwion L. Brown Sr., 40, guard with Harlem Wizards Dwion...

February 03, 2000

Dwion L. Brown Sr., 40, guard with Harlem Wizards

Dwion L. Brown Sr., who played basketball with the Harlem Wizards, died Friday of cancer at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was 40.

Mr. Brown, who was known as "Doc," was a resident of Seattle.

He had played guard with the Harlem Wizards, a touring basketball team that plays in the style of the Harlem Globetrotters, since 1985. Earlier, he played with the U.S. All-Stars.

Born in Southwest Baltimore, Mr. Brown began playing basketball at age 11 in city recreation leagues. Later, as a 6-foot-4-inch guard, he played for Southern High School.

After graduating from Southern in 1977, he earned a bachelor's degree in early childhood education at Washington State University at Pullman.

Mr. Brown was a motivational speaker who addressed schools across the nation.

"He loved children and helping them. He tried to make them understand that they had to stay in school and away from drugs," said his mother, Audrey Brown of Baltimore. "His favorite saying was, `If you can dream it, then you can achieve it.' "

Services for Mr. Brown will be held at 7: 30 p.m. today at St. Abraham Baptist Church, 1124 W. North Ave.

In addition to his mother, he is survived by a son, Dwion L. Brown Jr., and a daughter, Krishona Brown, both of Baltimore; a brother, Juan L. Brown of Baltimore; and three sisters, Fawn Price of Baltimore, Dawn Davis of Augusta, Ga., and Lauren Moreland of Norfolk, Va.

James J. Dellis, 84, restaurant partner

James J. Dellis, who was a partner in several Baltimore restaurants, died Tuesday of pneumonia at Good Samaritan Hospital. The Northeast Baltimore resident was 84.

Mr. Dellis immigrated to Baltimore from his native Athens, Greece, in 1967 and worked for several years at H & S Bakery in Fells Point.

He established his first restaurant, the Center Restaurant, at Charles and Saratoga streets, with his two sons in 1972. In 1989, they opened the Lighthouse Restaurant on Park Avenue, which they owned until last year.

Born into a family that owned a meat and cheese packing company in Athens, Mr. Dellis graduated from high school there. During World War II, he fought with the Greek Army until its defeat by the Germans in 1941. He spent the rest of the war as a member of the Greek resistance.

From 1945 until moving to Baltimore, he worked in the family business.

He was a member of the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation, Maryland Avenue and Preston Street, where services will be held at 11 a.m. today.

He is survived by his wife of 52 years, the former Vasiliki Kanaras; two sons, John Dellis and Thomas Dellis, both of Perry Hall; a daughter, Cathy Bittner of Perry Hall; two brothers, Kosta Dellis and Alex Dellis, and a sister, Sophia Felplepedes, all of Athens; and five grandchildren.

Suzanne S. Runge, 53, administrative assistant

Suzanne S. Runge, a former administrative assistant active in community theater, died Monday of lung cancer at Fallston General Hospital. She was 53.

The Edgewood resident retired on medical disability in 1998 from Sylvan Learning Systems Inc., where she was an administrative assistant and tested computer software.

For nearly 10 years, Mrs. Runge had been an active member of Harford Community Players, where she worked with props, lighting and sound systems.

She enjoyed attending theater in Baltimore and seeing Broadway shows in New York.

The former Suzanne Schlutz was born and reared in Pittsburgh and graduated from Library High School. She attended Harford Community College and Carroll County Community College.

She volunteered with Goodwill and the Agape Children's Home, and was a cat lover.

Services are being planned.

She is survived by her husband of eight years, Richard V. Runge of Ellicott City; a brother, Elmer G. Schlutz of Frankfurt, Germany; a sister, Julie Schlutz of Las Vegas; two nieces; and a special friend, Mark Rainess of Edgewood.

Lindsey Cunningham Sr., 69, filling station owner

Lindsey "Joe" Cunningham Sr., an Arnold filling station owner, died Monday of cancer at his Annapolis home. He was 69.

He owned the Arnold Sunoco station and food mart for 35 years. The station, on the southbound side of Ritchie Highway, was the last one before U.S. 50. He also did auto repairs until about 10 years ago.

In the 1980s, he owned the thoroughbred racehorses Lonely Guy, Native Boone, Marilyn's Spy and Missile Kate. They won at the Penn National and Charles Town Races tracks.

Born in Schuyler, Va., where he attended school, he moved to the Arnold area 40 years ago.

Services will be held at 1 p.m. tomorrow at Barranco & Sons Severna Park Funeral Home, 495 Ritchie Highway.

He is survived by three sons, Lindsey Cunningham Jr. and David Cunningham, both of Severna Park, and Donald Cunningham of Millersville; a daughter, Diane Ark of Glen Burnie; two brothers, Raymond Cunningham of Ruckesville, Va., and Marion Cunningham of Knokesville, Va.; nine grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

John Thomas Roycroft, 53, MTA credit union president

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.