Fire in 2-family Overlea home leaves 7 homeless

no injuries reported

January 28, 2000|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

Seven people were left homeless when a two-alarm fire raced through their Overlea home yesterday morning.

Investigators are trying to determine the cause of the blaze, which began about 11: 30 a.m., said Battalion Chief Mark Hubbard of the Baltimore County Fire Department.

The fire began in the back of a single-family home in the 100 block of Overlea Ave. that had been split into two apartments, said Hubbard.

"Our firefighters in Fullerton could see the smoke from their station, and they are a mile or two away," Hubbard said. "It was well involved by the time we came."

Two families lived in the house, but no one was home when the fire broke out. The Red Cross has arranged for temporary housing.

Fire officials could not provide a damage estimate but said the inside of the house was burned out.

Hubbard said it took firefighters about an hour to extinguish the blaze. They were slowed by snowy sidewalks that hadn't been shoveled, he said. Fifty firefighters were called to the scene. No injuries were reported.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.