Wilde Lake knocks Hebron out of sole hold on 1st place

Fawcett's shooting lifts Vikings in fourth quarter

Boys basketball

January 20, 2000|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

For the third time in four games, Wilde Lake defeated a league-leading team yesterday.

The Wildecats, behind clutch fourth-quarter shooting from Chad Fawcett, knocked Mount Hebron out of first place, edging the visiting Vikings, 56-53.

No. 20 Wilde Lake (10-3 overall, 7-2 league) remains in a two-way tie for first place with Centennial at the halfway point of the league season.

Fawcett, an All-County point guard who sat out most of the third quarter in foul trouble, sank two three-pointers and went 4-for-4 at the foul line in the fourth quarter, including two free throws that put the Wildecats ahead 56-53 with 16 seconds left.

Wilde Lake, after bolting to a 9-0 lead, struggled to solve Mount Hebron's matchup zone defense.

Trailing 15-9, Mount Hebron (9-4, 6-3) went on a 16-2 run to go ahead 25-17 in the second quarter.

Wilde Lake's Jerome Parkinson (12 points, three rebounds) sat out that quarter in foul trouble.

"All year you play against regular zones or man defenses and then you come up against this mixture and we just didn't have anything for it," said Fawcett, who scored 15 points and had three steals and two rebounds. "They force you to take outside jumpers and then they rebound well."

Wilde Lake survived by sinking six three-point baskets, three by Fawcett, two by David Martin (18 points, six rebounds) and one by Jeff Bright.

Wildecats coach Lester Clay thought two crucial factors were his team's full-court press to start the fourth quarter that created a few turnovers, and the defensive play of Chris Riley against Mount Hebron's 6-foot-6 center Eric Toback (14 points, seven rebounds, three blocks, two assists, two steals).

"The press gave us the chance to get some three-point shots and Riley made some rebounds that gave us second chances in the fourth quarter," Clay said.

Riley was replacing starter Nyema Wilson, who sat out the second half with a sore back.

Mount Hebron played without Matt White, who will miss four weeks with a slight Achilles' tear.

White's replacement, Derok Roach, led the Vikings with 15 points, including Mount Hebron's only three-pointer.

"We played a great game," Roach said. "Things just didn't go our way at the end."

Mount Hebron trailed 54-53 with 48 seconds left but Parkinson intercepted a pass near half court that lead to two free throws by Fawcett.

Toback then dribbled into position for a three-point basket in the closing seconds but missed.

Wilde Lake shot 38 percent (21-for-55) from the field and Mount Hebron shot 50 percent (21-for-41).

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.