Late flurry by Walbrook upsets Southwestern, 69-68

Warriors clinch victory with game-ending 11-3 run

Boys basketball

January 13, 2000|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Southwestern coach Terry Leverett thought Walbrook would be among the toughest basketball teams his Sabers would face in the city this season.

His fourth-ranked Sabers discovered why last night, getting upset by the host Warriors, 69-68.

The 18th-ranked Warriors (10-2, 2-0 City West Division) scored 11 of the game's final 14 points to secure the win. Daevon Haskins led the Warriors with 16 points, including eight-of-10 from the free-throw line. Jamaal Booker added 15 points and grabbed seven rebounds.

Southwestern (8-2, 0-1) fell behind by as many as eight points late in the third period but scored the first five points of the final period to make it 45-all.

The lead then changed hands five times before Tyrone Cooper hit five of six free-throw attempts (7-of-8 for the game) to give Southwestern a 56-51 lead with 3: 41 to go. He led the Sabers in scoring with 19 points before fouling out with 3: 01 left.

With 2: 50 left, Southwestern was hanging on by a point, 56-55, after four straight free throws by Lamont Keaton (10 points). And the Sabers extended that to 63-55 before Tavon Peters ignited a 10-0 Walbrook run with a three-pointer.

The Warriors regained the lead at 65-63 lead with 1: 01 to play and was never headed.

Southwestern had built a 17-6 lead with 2: 31 left in the first period on the strength of 5-of-7 field-goal shooting, including three straight three-pointers.

But Walbrook's defense slowed Southwestern's pace, creating six turnovers as the Warriors closed the period on a 5-0 run that was capped by Booker's dunk. Walbrook trailed 17-11 entering the second quarter.

"We tightened up the defense. We knew that they were well-coached. Their kids do very well one-on-one, and they like to penetrate to the basket," said Walbrook coach Kelvin Bridgers. "We sagged off a little bit -- tried to double-team. We played a little `help' defense -- kept our kids in a solid position so that we could cut them off."

The Warriors led 35-28 at halftime after Haskins' buzzer-beating three-pointer capped a 15-1 run. He and Peters each scored seven points in that period, with Peters' lay-up, assisted by Booker, giving Walbrook its first lead a minute before halftime, 30-28.

No. 14 Randallstown 66, No. 16 Milford Mill 62 OT: Antoine Jordan and Brian Miles, who scored 17 points apiece, combined for 10 free throws in overtime to lift the Rams (10-1).

Milford Mill (9-3) trailed by 10 at the half, 31-21, but took a 56-52 lead in the fourth quarter. A three-point play by Randallstown's Miles sent the game into overtime.

Jacen Drummond led Milford Mill with 15.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.