BayRunners shake skid in 127-85 explosion

Season high in points leaves Stars seeing them

January 08, 2000|By Brent Jones | Brent Jones,SUN STAFF

Brent Dabbs, the guy BayRunners coach Herb Brown is asking to play center, spotted up and hit a three-point basket with all the confidence of guard Shawnta Rogers, then turned and went downcourt as if it was no big deal.

The fact that Dabbs, known more for his low-post presence, was knocking in threes basically sums up everything that went right for the BayRunners in a record-setting performance last night.

The BayRunners beat the Trenton Stars, 127-85, in front of 3,415 at the Baltimore Arena. They made 50 field goals, surpassing their previous mark by 10, and shot 62.5 percent from behind the three-point line.

In addition to a season high in points, the BayRunners' 42-point margin was the biggest in the International Basketball League this season.

The win, which broke an eight-game losing streak, also brought a look of relief to Brown's face.

"We played a great game," Brown said. "Everybody played great. It has been a long time coming. The fans have been terrific because they keep coming out waiting for us to win.

"The shots were going down, but we were passing the ball. We were executing and doing what we were supposed to do. Maybe I can smile for the first time in three weeks."

The BayRunners came out strong, opening up a 22-8 lead. They took advantage of a new, fast floor that replaced the decaying surface the BayRunners played their previous 10 games on.

"They are no dead spots at all," said Rodney Elliott. "It is something good for us and the fans."

The key for the BayRunners was scoring down low by Dabbs, Elliott and Steve Goodrich during the early run. That set up a barrage of three-point baskets in the third quarter, and an eventual dunk-show by Lonnie Harrell (game-high 22 points) and LaMarr Greer (17 points on 7-for-8 shooting) in the fourth. All the active players scored for the BayRunners, with six in double digits.

The BayRunners led 58-40 at halftime, then came out in the second half and Rogers and Monty Wilson hit back-to-back threes that basically finished the game, and the losing streak.

"We've practiced hard every day," Brown said. "[Assistants] Sam [Worthen], Terry [Truax] and myself were just wondering when it was going to happen."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.