Southern holds off Brooklyn's Robeson

Johnson's late layup lifts Bulldogs, 64-63

Mayor's Basketball Academy

High Schools

January 08, 2000|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

Kavon Johnson's layup with 50 seconds left was the difference, as fourth-ranked Southern-Baltimore edged Paul Robeson High of Brooklyn, N.Y., 64-63, in the Mayor's Basketball Academy Tournament at Coppin State last night.

The visitors failed to get off a shot in the final five seconds.

Johnson was one of three Bulldogs in double figures with 18 points. Melvin Scott and Darshaw Luckey scored 21 each for the victorious Bulldogs.

No. 8 Dunbar 86, Newport School 74: Calvin Dotson (27 points) and Jujaun Robinson (23) combined for 50 points, as the Poets stunned previously nationally ranked Newport, of Kensington.

Ben Franklin (Pa.) 44, No. 13 Lake Clifton 43 (OT): The lowest-scoring game of the day went to the Electrons of Philadelphia on a jumper by Hannif Styles with 2: 47 left in the extra four-minute session. Styles' game-winning shot gave the victors a five-point lead (44-39) that was too much for the Lakers to overcome.

A three-pointer by Aaron Cook, who had a game-high 17 points, with 1: 12 remaining put the Lakers within 44-43, but missed opportunities, including not getting a shot off in the final 13 seconds, hurt.

"I had my four guards in there, and we were trying to get to the paint, but they [Franklin] did a good job and didn't let us," said Lakers coach Herman Harried.

Jamal Nichols, Ben Franklin's imposing 6-foot-7 sophomore, (eight points) had stuffed a shot by the Lakers' 6-7 sophomore Laysean Hall to start the final minute. Nichols' presence inside, along with that of 6-5 junior William Dunlap, prevented the Lakers from getting a good look at the end.

Lake Clifton (4-5) led 18-14 at the half, but with the game tied at 27 going into the last period, the lead would change seven times before a tap-in by Hall tied the game at 39 with six seconds left.

Ben Franklin (6-2) missed a layup at the buzzer to force overtime, but the Electrons opened the extra period with a three by Lafay Johnson, who had a team-high 11 points.

No. 20 Walbrook 56, Strawberry Mansion (Pa.) 50: After a 26-26 first half, the Warriors (8-1) put together a couple of runs in the second half on the way to the six-point victory.

Four Warriors hit double digits, with Tavon Peters the leader with a game-high 16 points.

Walbrook got 12 points each from Daevon Haskins, Lamont Keaton and Tynell Dunkley.

City 54, Albert Einstein 50: Holding a 15-point lead (45-30) over the Titans of Kensington with just over four minutes left, the Knights (4-4) had to hold on for the victory.

Junior guard Todd Galloway scored a game-high 31 points for the victors on 10 field goals (three three-pointers) but was uncharacteristically off at the foul line, making only eight of 15 free-throw attempts.

Jermaul Akanbi (11 points) made a three-pointer at the buzzer before the first-half break to give the Knights what appeared to be a commanding 29-16 lead, only to have Einstein rally in the final period.

Outscoring the Knights 26-14 in the last eight minutes, Einstein whittled City's lead down to 47-40 with 2: 17 left, but Galloway sank a pair from the line to push City's lead to 49-40 with two minutes left.

Mervo 60, Northern 55: In the first boys game of the day, the Mustangs took a 29-21 lead over the Vikings at the half and went on to victory.

Senior guard Solomon Hassan led three Mustangs in double figures with 17 points, followed by Djuan Sheppard with 12, and Donald Thomas with 10.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.