Annapolis gives Falcons the slip

No. 3 Panthers not slowed by sweat-drenched floor, top Severna Park, 70-59

Boys basketball

High Schools

January 05, 2000|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

Thomas Hawkins was the man in the first half, Marcus Johnson in the second half and point guard Marcus Neal overall as No. 3-ranked Annapolis (8-0) slipped, literally, out of Severna Park last night with a 70-59 victory.

Playing in a rather humid gym that had the players perspiring profusely, the two teams slipped on the sweat-drenched floor from start to finish. The referees were constantly pushing towels on wet spots across the hardwood to keep the players from slipping too much.

Severna Park athletic director Wayne Mook said the gym floor had been refinished during the holidays, but that has been common procedure over the years and contributed only slightly to the problem last night.

Johnson, who led the winners in rebounds with nine, scored nine of his 15 points in the final eight minutes, matching the Falcons' point total for the last period.

"It wasn't a good offensive game, wasn't a good defensive game," said Johnson. "We just couldn't put it together, and you can't complain about the slippery floor because it effected both teams."

After shooting 54 percent in the first half (19 of 35) and taking a 46-39 lead, the Panthers went cold, sinking only two of 17 field-goal attempts in the third period to score just nine points, their lowest scoring period of the season.

Annapolis was just 5-for-27 in the last 16 minutes while Severna Park, which shot 45 percent in the first half, was not much better at 6-for-28 in the second half. The Panthers' foul shooting saved them as they converted 14 of 17 at the line in the second half while the Falcons (5-4) made seven of 10.

The play of 6-foot-5 junior Trevor Quinn, who scored 19 points and pulled in a game-high 12 rebounds, Jon Garritt (14 points) and point guard Derek Dixon (six points, six rebounds, four steals) kept the Falcons close.

Bobby West was a third Falcon in double figures with 10 points, but had only three in the second half along with Garritt.

Hawkins pumped in 20 of his game-high 24 points in the first half to put the Panthers in front by seven, but it was a 55-50 Annapolis lead going into the final quarter. Hawkins was 4-for-4 from the line in the third period but was scoreless in the last.

"We had little lapses, missed easy buckets on layups and things and that got us frustrated because they were beating us up the court," said Neal, who scored in every period, 11 of his 20 points coming in the first half and four points down the stretch to go with seven rebounds.

"We put Johnson on the block and moved Tom [Hawkins] outside in the second half and we just didn't get into any rhythm."

Annapolis coach John Brady said his Panthers simply didn't play two good halves and credited the Falcons for their hustling play.

"We had a stretch there where we weren't getting any offensive rebounds and they were still beating us down the floor," said Brady, whose team led in rebounding, 34-32.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.