Centennial takes while to make point

Eagles crawl way back from 18-0 tourney deficit

Girls basketball notebook

High Schools

January 05, 2000|By Stan Rappaport | Stan Rappaport,SUN STAFF

In 22 years of coaching high school girls basketball at Mount Hebron and Centennial, Dave Greenberg has experienced most everything.

But last week Greenberg had a first.

"I've never been in a game where the opponent scored the first 18 points," Greenberg said.

Centennial was playing Severna Park in the opening round of the Holly N Hoops tournament at McDonogh. Severna Park took a 14-0 first-quarter lead, then scored the first four points of the second quarter.

"We were pathetic," Greenberg said.

But just like that, the Eagles regrouped. They ran off 13 straight points and held Severna Park scoreless the rest of the half.

The game remained close in the second half. Severna Park led by three with less than 10 seconds to play, and went to the line to shoot one-and-one free throws. The Falcons missed, however, giving Centennial a chance to tie.

The Eagles took the ball to midcourt and called a timeout with 1.9 seconds left. Centennial ran a play for Darlena Hammond, and the senior made the three-pointer at the buzzer to send the game into overtime.

After the first overtime period failed to decide the outcome, Centennial's Ashley Evans made both one-and-one free throws with 15 seconds left to give the Eagles a two-point lead. But Severna Park's Natalie Hicks scored to tie the game and send it to a third overtime.

Lisa Richardson scored three of the Eagles' six points and assisted on the other basket in the final overtime as Centennial prevailed, 53-50.

"I've never had a team come back from that far," Greenberg said. "We didn't give up. It was a big win for us."

Evans finished with 12 points and 10 rebounds, and Richardson added 11 points and nine rebounds.

In the championship game, Centennial's 11-point, third-quarter lead was cut to two before Jasmine Hammond's two free throws with 13 seconds secured a 39-35 victory over McDonogh.

Richardson finished with 11 points and nine rebounds, Jasmine Hammond added 10 points and Evans contributed nine points and seven rebounds.

Sarah Costa scored 15 and Karen Brownlie added 11 to help Atholton to a 48-40 victory over Aberdeen in a first-round game of the Aberdeen tournament. The Raiders didn't fare as well in the championship, losing, 65-26, to Oxon Hill.

Glenelg was scheduled to play Oxon Hill in the first round of the tournament, but failed to show up. In fact, coach Ciaran Lesikar was at Glenelg finishing practice when he got a phone call from Aberdeen asking him where his team was.

Lesikar thought the tournament was scheduled Dec. 28-29 while, in fact, it was Dec. 27-28.

Lesikar said he and athletic director Mike Williams were at fault. "We both took blame for it," Lesikar said.

Glenelg won the consolation game, 67-23, behind 12 points from Erin Edell and 11 from Ally Biggs.

Oakland Mills won the Gold Division of the Woodlawn tournament. The Scorpions won their opener, 50-34, over High Point, behind 20 points and 15 rebounds from Rayna DuBose and 18 points and 15 rebounds from Heather Romich.

In the championship, DuBose had 19 points and 16 rebounds and Romich added 14 points and 16 rebounds as Oakland Mills upended host Woodlawn, 64-43. Paris Buckner had 11 points for the winners.

DuBose was named MVP of the Gold Division, and she and Romich made the all-tournament team.

Hammond played in the Buckets by the Beach tournament at the Convention Center in Wildwood, N.J., and lost twice -- 53-43 to Wildwood Catholic and 49-42 to Ocean City, N.J.

With Hammond coach Mike Mongelli on a 10-day cruise, JV coach Ray McMillan took over.

"It was an excellent experience for the girls. I'm glad we went," McMillian said.

McMillian and the Golden Bears were surprised to find that the tournament was played under boys rules -- no 30-second shooting clock and a 10-second time period to get the ball past midcourt.

Milissa Workman scored 20 points against Wildwood Catholic, and Erin Travis had 11 and Workman 10 against Ocean City.

Fourth-ranked River Hill and eighth-ranked Mount Hebron won holiday tournaments. Greeba Outen-Barlow had 19 points as the Hawks defeated Bishop Eustace, N.J., 55-51, in the title game of the Mardela tournament. Mount Hebron won its own tournament, 61-38, over Mercy, behind 14 points from Erin Jaschik and 10 each from Julie Napolitano and Kristen Waagbo.

Wilde Lake lost to Damascus, 52-37, in the first round of the Sherwood tournament. "We were so bad," Wildecats coach Don Storr said. The Wildecats played better in the consolation, defeating Pallotti, 62-35, behind 22 points from Bryanna Herring.

Howard lost to Einstein, 55-51, in its opening game of the O'Connell Holiday tournament at Howard. The Lions, behind 26 points from Kim Pyne, won the consolation, 58-28, over Bethesda-Chevy Chase.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.