A two-alarm fire in Taneytown yesterday afternoon severely damaged a second-story apartment and displaced a young couple at 46 E. Main St.
The couple, who had been away a short time, found smoke in the apartment upon returning, said Taneytown Volunteer Fire Company President Mike Clapsaddle.
The first alarm went out at 1: 32 p.m. and a second alarm was requested at 1: 46 p.m. Nine engines, a ladder truck, rescue squad, air unit and ambulance responded to the scene. The fire was declared under control at 2: 08 p.m., Clapsaddle said.
The apartment sustained extensive damage, and the Red Cross is assisting the couple, he said.
The building contained two upstairs apartments, a two-level downstairs apartment, and dog grooming and taxidermist businesses. The other apartments suffered smoke damage, but the businesses were undamaged, Clapsaddle said.